Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi new to forum. I am disabled single mom with a child with medical issues. I have had this car for a few years now. I have been reading this whole forum for last couple hours. I get the extremly hot middle console thing were it has actual scalded my hand a couple times. I also have gotten a toe burned twice when wearing sandles soem were near accelerator panel cant figure that out but that is not the issue. With in 100 miles of warranty expiring magic everything goes south.

ISSUES_

ECT- no i do not go up and down on elevation and it is really random but if i wanted a bucking bronco when trying to accelerate across a freeway with two small children i would have bought a horse. Has happened twice and once left over night car runs fine again GRRRRRRRRR

**** MAIN ISSUE***Battery Light comes on after driving for awhile alternator???. Turn teh car off for awhile it is gone then start driving for a a hour or so and boom back on. I see that this year has a long history of alternator issues. i asked around a new alternator 400 dollars that is almost my monthly income and cannot afford to replace. How do i know it is for sure. Car sometimes hesitates when trying to go from a start and i get a weird whirrign noise. HELP you dont know me from adam but i would be so appreciative and am out of options.

Also this thing goes through tires like crazy i have payed for front end alignments etc but still cant figure it out and rear bumper has totally peeled all the coating off already. I had all the plastic sealers liners arouind teh top edging etc replaced when i first got it as i noticed they were already badly damaged from sun on one side and curling etc. I live in northern california.

My warranty expired 100 miles ago wonder if computer told it that and now i am stuck. I am afraid car is going to break with children in it on any of the out of the way places i have to drive that gets sketchy cell service. I see there was a update ect computer thing i was never told about and a recall for acceleration issues cause of pedal also never told about.

OH and the irriating thing is that radio that hangs down in the back broke almsot right away so it always hangs when you open the gate and people bang their head on it look and it is at iny piece of plastic double grrrrrrrrr. This is my first dodge after so many recomended. I am not impressed if this many issues with only 80k miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention the gremlin that likes to visit. I at times have random issues with the driver side window wanting to go up and sometimes though rarely the radio station changes on its own. SO any ideas

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
My first suggeation, if you still have the original battery is to replace it. Weak batteries have caused many issues with the electronic systems of these cars. auto Zone and a few others will test your battery for free and install a new one with no charge for labor.

The extereme heat you are feeling in the footwell is normally caused by the evaporator drain hose being clogged or out of position, allowing hot water to spill into the footwell - your dealer or an independent shop can check and correct this problem fairly easily.

Tire wear, you will need to go to a good independent alignment shop to have this checked out and possibly get the alignment adjusted.

Some of the other issues relate to build quality and environmental factors.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
If the battery checks out, then a bad alternator could be causing all your electrical issues. The burnt toes can be caused by a plugged drainage tube. It runs under the carpet behind the gas pedal. You can pull the carpet back and pull the tube out from where it goes through the floor and run a piece of wire up through it to clear the clog.

The gas pedal issue that was a recall was only for the Calibers made in April 2006. If you didn't get a recall in the mail, your car wasn't made in that month.

That thing you call a radio in the back, I think you mean the tailgate speakers, has a latch to hold it in place. Why didn't you have it fixed under warranty? You may just have to duct tape it now if you don't have the money to get it fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i kept forgetting to get the radio in the back fixed that was defiantly my bad the latch is fine it is that tiny piece of plastic it latched onto that broke yea the funny thing is teh tape did not work to keep the darn thing up lol. With two kids and all the driving i did just forgot or did not have time to leave to repair for a couple days. Thanks about the hose thing with the toes i will check that tomorrow when i replace the plugs and the air filter in the morning. As for the tire wear yes I have had it aligned twice now.
I am dreading the alternator being replaced so soon as i have seen so many posts saying there caliber eats them anyone know the reason the caliber eats them. Cause up to know I have really l iked my car overall for the price and how much we drive which is a ton it has done well

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
yea i kept forgetting to get the radio in the back fixed that was defiantly my bad the latch is fine it is that tiny piece of plastic it latched onto that broke yea the funny thing is teh tape did not work to keep the darn thing up lol. With two kids and all the driving i did just forgot or did not have time to leave to repair for a couple days. Thanks about the hose thing with the toes i will check that tomorrow when i replace the plugs and the air filter in the morning. As for the tire wear yes I have had it aligned twice now.
I am dreading the alternator being replaced so soon as i have seen so many posts saying there caliber eats them anyone know the reason the caliber eats them. Cause up to know I have really l iked my car overall for the price and how much we drive which is a ton it has done well
I don't remember what the latch catch looked like. If it is attached with screws, you could get one from the dealer. I remember some other member had broken theirs and it was possible to make a replacement that would work, but would require being mechanically inclined.

On your alignment issues, if it isn't staying aligned, you may have one of the Calibers with premature suspension component wear.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
My suffestions

Battery/starter

Go to a car place and have them do a SOC test. That is a State Of Charge test. Cheaper than replacing the battery just to figure out if your battery was good or not. If you had a bad alternqtor, your battery would have been dead long ago.

Tailgate speakers

There is a user here that once posted about his fix for the tailgate speaker latch that broke. He explained and showed how to craft a replacement part. Its been a long time since I have seen this. Maybe two years. Use google to search this site. You should find it.

Tires

Not enough details. How long do they last? Cheap tires (and very expensive ones) tend to go faster. But driving style and alignment (in the back as well) are contributing factors to melting tires.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
My suffestions

Battery/starter

Go to a car place and have them do a SOC test. That is a State Of Charge test. Cheaper than replacing the battery just to figure out if your battery was good or not. If you had a bad alternator, your battery would have been dead long ago.
Not necessarily true. With the decoupling pulley, power can waver causing erratic electrical issues all the while the battery stays charged.

Tailgate speakers

There is a user here that once posted about his fix for the tailgate speaker latch that broke. He explained and showed how to craft a replacement part. Its been a long time since I have seen this. Maybe two years. Use google to search this site. You should find it.
I located the post with the simple fix. The guy used a screw: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showpost.php?p=144796&postcount=22

Tires

Not enough details. How long do they last? Cheap tires (and very expensive ones) tend to go faster. But driving style and alignment (in the back as well) are contributing factors to melting tires.
Don't forget all the people that have had to replace suspension components on these cars.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Don't forget all the people that have had to replace suspension components on these cars.
x2.

i'm not sure if i have an original factory installed suspension part on my car lol

and i replaced my OEM tires at 17000km...had my hydroedges on for the last few years, and they are still going strong

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
the sound of the alt. going bad makes a whirring sound.. the puley sounds like bad bearings so when you start it up and give it gas ..yeah it sounds bad.. the battery light comes on every once in awhile... and the alternator shouldn't cost only around 200 bucks.. maybe a friend can replace it.. I just went through it with my sons caliber at 90+ thousand miles. when it's running good..the caliber is a great car.
not every make or model will never wear out parts. when you do replace parts make sure you get a better part in there.. tires wear out on every car ...if you hit alot of potholes and get cheap tires and bad allignments or do not replace the parts that make it go out of allignemnt faster ... personally I have never driven any vehicle that never needed parts replaced ... but I keep my vehicles for a few more years and miles than most people do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I know exactly where you are coming from and how you feel. I bought an 07 too and have had problems with it. I am not to sure with the foot peddal issue. But if the battery light is coming on and it is acting the way you say where you can turn it off and turn it back on againg and the light goes away, then I would bet its the alternator. I had to replace mine as well and found the cheapest place to be NAPA autoparts for me, I didn't check ebay though you could start there too just check out the reviews and ask questions before you buy some of the items come with warranty on there too. Well good luck and hope everything works out for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts