Dodge Caliber Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Dunno if this would have made a difference but during the winter I never let the tank get less than half full...the more gas you have the less chance for condensation in the tank to dilute the gas so much that it becomes an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TLDR Car cranks won't start after it got really really cold, bought new battery still doesn't start, it does however crank. Throwing codes P0456, P0480, P2017, P0113 and P2181 none of which should stop it from turning over. However I was told to use my booster cable to replace the negative cable and when I did so and grounded it to the car she turned over for like a second and then died but battery was spent from endless times trying to start it so waiting on a charger.

Was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose the ol' jalopy lol? It was running just fine until about a week ago, had an incredible cold snap; temps dropped to -45C hasn't started till then. I was thinking it needed a boost, tried that to no avail, purchased a new battery; still no dice. Then I thought I might have frozen fuel in my lines because I had just under half a tank & was getting fuel from a local grocery store, so I had fuel delivered and put a couple bottles of gas line antifreeze in, still nothing. pulled the fuel supply line to check for flow it spurts but I found that inconclusive and truth be told its just still too damn cold out. So what I know is: the fuel pump still primes when I turn it to ACC, it shouldn't be the starter relay because it cranks, I doubt it's the starter because its clearly cranking, battery terminal clamps could use cleaning but don't seem to be overly inhibiting function. Also weird buzzing sound under the hood after I try turning the engine over; not sure what that's all about or if you can hear it on the video. The block heater has been plugged in the entire season, did notice that the coolant reservoir was empty and the top of the rad didn't have any liquid in it; so I topped up booth It belonged to my dad previously who is very mechanically savvy, (but I don't wanna bug him, hell I already got a free car, least I can do is take care of it) said that it has done this in the past, which is refuse to start when its extremely cold and his remedy was just to wait until it warmed up and it turned right over, however there HAS to be a rational answer. I put my scanner on it the only codes I got were P0456, P0480, P2017, P0113 & P2181 none of which would prevent a start up I would think. When I cleared them P0113 was the only one to return without ignition. The last time it ran I got the lightning bolt indicative of the throttle body control problem and it was revving a little high but I attributed that to, cold start and maybe pressing my remote start too many times; either way I turned of the car and restarted and it went away. So I got nothing but if I had to guess I feel like the fuel pump isn't maintaining enough pressure to start but it lacks a Schrader valve and I don't feel like pulling up my rear seat in these temps. so hit me with what you got.
Just a thought as years ago or should I say decades ago now. But at the time obviously a different car. But temps were well below zero in our area and rather than leaving it parked outside as I was back living with my parents on the farm after a messy divorce. Anyhow my parents had gone to Florida to visit my grandparents (mom side) my brother also knows a lot about vehicles. He told me to back it up in the barn which had straw on both sides and some stack in the center back as we would sell bales to local feed mills and livestock farms as they needed it. See if someone could possibly tow it into a building that's hopefully warmer than the butter cold outside to see if that might also help.

Good luck

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just a thought as years ago or should I say decades ago now. But at the time obviously a different car. But temps were well below zero in our area and rather than leaving it parked outside as I was back living with my parents on the farm after a messy divorce. Anyhow my parents had gone to Florida to visit my grandparents (mom side) my brother also knows a lot about vehicles. He told me to back it up in the barn which had straw on both sides and some stack in the center back as we would sell bales to local feed mills and livestock farms as they needed it. See if someone could possibly tow it into a building that's hopefully warmer than the butter cold outside to see if that might also help.

Good luck
Thank you it's solved now, but several people did tell me something to that effect of maybe putting something next to the car so that wind couldn't get under it, or a blanket over the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi like you, I'm having the same problems with mine. I know my 02 sensors need replacing, and possibly have a clogged air filter. But, until it got really cold here (central Texas) I didn't have any running problems. Now, after running for about 10 minutes, parked or driving, that electronic throttle light comes on and she starts losing power, kind of like im out of gas. Once I turn it off, wait a few minutes, and start it up again, it's off. So im just cranking her up a couple times a day, and driving around the block a few times. Hopefully it's just the cold. Hope it's just that for you too
No it's not the cold we have had some REALLY cold days here In Ohio and my Caliber has started with no problems,It even set up while i do a rear subframe in the cold for 2 weeks and and once i finish it started i would look at a throttle body first i replace one on my car when that light came on and never had that problem again.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts