Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Would love to know what is wrong

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Sterwee 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My caliber has been making a grinding noise right at when it hits 2k rpm since the day I got it. It was never an issue so I didn't pay any attention to it. It wouldnt make the noise up until ~1.8k and would stop around ~2.2 or so. But thats not the issue I am posting about.

I have a 2007 SXT 2.0L with 114k miles. I just changed the oil before my big trip to florida which came to about 1300 miles all together and when I got back and finally cut the music off because I was nearing home, I heard a winding noise during all acceleration and when I parked the car I would listen to it idle and my caliber sounds really troubled.. I'm not totally sure how to describe the sound but its clinking and clanking. I've attached the sound of my car idling. Hopefully that will help. Later I'll pop the hood and try to locate the origin of the sound and tell you guys where its coming from and hopefully I can remedy this!

I'll try to answer any questions you may have! There are no lights that come on on the cluster display

Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
Same sound clip that's been played a hundred times before on here. The decoupling pulley on the alternator is bad. You need a new alternator.

#4 ·
It's a replacement must unless you don't mind having your butt stranded on the side of road before long. Just do what Brad said. He knows what he's talking about.

#7 ·
Buy the new one. You get a warranty that you won't get with piece parts. Another member just posted on anther thread that he thought he'd save money by doing a piece part repair. After putting the alternator back in he discovered a lot more was wrong with it and had to put a new one in anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.