Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the Caliber is running, and I plug something into my AC port, it works fine, but then, if I turn the car off and turn it back on, the AC port stops working until I unplug the device from the AC port and plug it back in. That is really impractical for my use case.

I want to wire it up so that it does not require something to be unplugged and then plugged back in to work.

Looking at the wiring diagram below, I see the "Inverter enable switch signal". I assume this is signal to enable the inverter.

If I ground this wire, will it enable the inverter whenever the car is on? Or does it need +12V?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Does Fused B(+) have a switched power, or can it be constant?

I think the Switch Signal is a signal into itself, triggering the inverter to Start when its (+) has been interrupted - prevent the main 12v interruption and a Start signal won’t be needed (at that point). A built-in design.

Then, of course, there would always be power to the inverter, draining the battery.

I’ve been wanting to replace the inverter with one in the kilowatt range, but power supplied by an isolated deep cycle battery. The car’s main battery and the electrical system would not be connected to the inverter, yet the separate battery would still be charged, through high power diodes.

If that makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
A leisure battery is the way to go. Plenty of rechargeable inverters on the market.
Can't advise having anything draining the Caliber or constantly powered.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does Fused B(+) have a switched power, or can it be constant?
Fused B(+) has swtiched power, and that is fine with me.

A leisure battery is the way to go. Plenty of rechargeable inverters on the market.
Can't advise having anything draining the Caliber or constantly powered.
I only want it powered when the key is on.

What I don't want is to have to unplug and re-plug-in my accessories when I turn off the car and turn it back on

I also don't want the extra weight of a second battery in my race car. I'm considering going the other direction and replacing my existing battery with a lightweight lithium ion battery.

I think the Switch Signal is a signal into itself, triggering the inverter to Start when its (+) has been interrupted - prevent the main 12v interruption and a Start signal won’t be needed (at that point). A built-in design.
Hmmm, I'll have to play around with that.

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
The built-in inverter was not on the export Calibers. My aftermarket inverter and accessories are on the switched power feed, always on with the key.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The built-in inverter was not on the export Calibers. My aftermarket inverter and accessories are on the switched power feed, always on with the key.
The built-in inverter on the domestic Calibers have a feature where they do not power up, even with the key on, unless you plug something in while the car is already on. This is the feature problem that I'm trying to fix.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave up on figuring this out and removed the plug and inverter from the car. I put an extra 12v car power port on the circuit that the inverter was using, and will use a small aftermarket inverter.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was hoping to read about you installing a diesel generator, four deep cycle batteries, and a 10,000watt inverter, with solar and wind backups...

Oh well.

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
I was hoping to read about you installing a diesel generator, four deep cycle batteries, and a 10,000watt inverter, with solar and wind backups...
Try the VanLife forums.

Reactions: 672aq
1 - 10 of 10 Posts