Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
I have a quick question, my 2011 caliber's wipers the other day started turning on by themselves! It seemed like when I messed with the light dimmer and headlight switch they would come on. Now I have noticed that sometimes when I turn my blinker on they will come on real quick? This makes no sense, I have no clue to what could be going on? It is not a constant thing, like yesterday it didn't happen all day, and today it happen like 3 times. Hopefully it's not the tipm? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow and see if they will do anything because I just bought it like a month ago and all it has is its 5yr/100,000 mile dodge powertrain warranty. I know they will want me to bring it in so they can look at it but if they are not going to pay for it since I just got it a month ago I will fix it myself for way cheaper.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's called phantom wipers - Freightliner has had the problem for years - needs a new multi function switch (turn signal switch assembly)

Update;
OK - It's a 2 piece "multifunction" switch(s) - it looks like the wiper switch possibly plugs into the turn signal switch (but I'm not sure from the photos)

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Hey all!
I have a quick question, my 2011 caliber's wipers the other day started turning on by themselves! It seemed like when I messed with the light dimmer and headlight switch they would come on. Now I have noticed that sometimes when I turn my blinker on they will come on real quick? This makes no sense, I have no clue to what could be going on? It is not a constant thing, like yesterday it didn't happen all day, and today it happen like 3 times. Hopefully it's not the tipm? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow and see if they will do anything because I just bought it like a month ago and all it has is its 5yr/100,000 mile dodge powertrain warranty. I know they will want me to bring it in so they can look at it but if they are not going to pay for it since I just got it a month ago I will fix it myself for way cheaper.
It's called phantom wipers - Freightliner has had the problem for years - needs a new multi function switch (turn signal switch assembly)
A B has it wrong. The wipers are on the right side stack. The problem is your clockspring is bad. That's the device inside the steering wheel that keeps everything connected and sorted out while you turn the wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I just noticed that sometimes when I hit underneath the steering wheel they will come on, I'm going to tell the dealer that tomorrow morning when I call them! I'm just glad it wont be the tipm, I've heard of al ot of people having problems with those and I don't want to replace that! Hopefully it won't be to expensive to get fixed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well just talked to the dealer and they want 52$ just to look at for a scan and 107 to spend a hour trying to figure out why it's doing it. I'm not doing that I can take it to a different mechanic that won't charge so much to look at it. I even told the dealer that it's the clock spring and they said it probably is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A B has it wrong. The wipers are on the right side stack. The problem is your clockspring is bad. That's the device inside the steering wheel that keeps everything connected and sorted out while you turn the wheel.

It was my understanding that the clockspring is the connection in the steering wheel for the radio controls (if you have them) the horn, the cruise and anything else on the wheel including the airbag - not the steering column. But I could be wrong - you're the expert.

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
Expensive because they have the airbag

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Read the OP's original post. The wipers are on the right side. The lights are on the left. He stated: "It seemed like when I messed with the light dimmer and headlight switch they [wipers] would come on. Now I have noticed that sometimes when I turn my blinker on they [wipers] will come on real quick?"

If it was the wiper switch; the blinker/headlight stack would not be effecting the wipers. The clockspring is the interconnect for all the devices on the steering wheel and column. If things are effecting other things ; then the clockspring is the root of the problem. All roads lead to the clockspring...in this case.

Francois problem was the stack because the wipers were the only thing effected.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Read the OP's original post. The wipers are on the right side. The lights are on the left. He stated: "It seemed like when I messed with the light dimmer and headlight switch they [wipers] would come on. Now I have noticed that sometimes when I turn my blinker on they [wipers] will come on real quick?"
If it was the wiper switch; the blinker/headlight stack would not be effecting the wipers. The clockspring is the interconnect for all the devices on the steering wheel and column. If things are effecting other things ; then the clockspring is the root of the problem. All roads lead to the clockspring...in this case.
Francois problem was the stack because the wipers were the only thing effected.
View attachment 7964
It looks like #5 connects the wiper switch to the turn signal switch then connects to the column harness below it. (I could be wrong) But if so, all it would take is a bad connection at either switch to effect the wipers. (more so at the headlight switch because it has 2 push connections) But I have never replaced either on a Caliber.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Like I posted; everything goes thru the clockspring. It's an interconnection hub.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts