Dodge Caliber Forum banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
True....so, true. Let the pros do it. I've seen so many "bubble" tinted cars on the road where i live from people who tried to save a few bucks lol!!!
Those are actually people that used ammonia based cleaners on the tint. In time the ammonia causes the tinted layer to de-laminate from the clear plastic adhesive layer. Professional or no.;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tint!

I had my Caliber tinted last week in Lowell. now that the sun is out here in New England I can get some pictures taken!

The rear was done at 15%. The front windows were not tinted. Total cost $150, tax inc.

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Looking good Tweed! :smileup:
Why only the rear windows tinted ? Laws or personal choice ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Laws or personal choice ?
sort of a mixture. The laws in Massachusetts allows for a full tint of 35% (max) all around. I really wanted the back tinted so it was not easy to see stuff in the back. My wife wanted the front windows clear. The guys at the shop told me that since I only wanted the back I could go with a "factory" SUV type tint where the back half is tinted and not get in trouble - a check of the tint is one of the inspection items. It now looks like my Cherokee and Liberty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, I have 3.5 rolls of 20% film for Charlene. Will be attempting this sometime in the next few days... wish me luck.

Usually, I would take the car to a professional for this kind of work (all of my vehicles have been tinted), except here where I live they want $450 to do it... and that ain't going to happen.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Those are actually people that used ammonia based cleaners on the tint. In time the ammonia causes the tinted layer to de-laminate from the clear plastic adhesive layer. Professional or no.;)
My Safari AWD I had in '99 had factory-tinted glass (aka, not a film). They were awesome.

I miss tinted windows on the Caliber (even my previous R/T) but always shrugged off the film option because of the over-abundance of bubble jobs I constantly see on the road. I've read this entire thread and now, what I can gather is that house jobs are mostly responsible for the crappy jobs I see, and Windex-like cleaners might also affect long-term results?

How many have had pro-installation and got bubbles over time? I'm still worried about getting tints because of that. I just don't want the car to look crappy in 2 years.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have had all of my cars tinted by a Pro and have had no problems at all. The odd bubble but that is to be expected. Most Pros have warranty. The one I went to the last time gave me a lifetime warranty against bubbles and turning purple. :D

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yeah any good place will have warrenty on their tints, one of the guys from wild wednesday nights (hes form the forum with s) got his windows tinted but they are bubbled and he is getting full reembursment for their bad job

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
A long time ago i had my Astro van windows tinted. I was married with children back then LOL!!! I had the pro's do it. They told me to never use Windex or any strong window cleaner on the tints. They sold bottles of tinted window cleaner at the shop. The guy told me it was just diluted car washing soap in the bottles. I had an empty Windex spray bottle so i made my own cleaner for my tints. After several years, my tints still looked like new with no bubbles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In canada / ontario it satates that we can not put anything darker then 35 % on the front windows however we can limo tint the rear windows but im not a fan of noticing a large diference so i have put on a 15% all around and yes i have been pulled over before for other faster things just roll down your window before they get there most of the time they have better things to do then actually test your window tint so just dont go with a limo tint and you should be fine

also i should add i have had mine since july 06 and i have a single spot of damage and it was my fault ie i had a dresser rub up against it but i have no bubble or discoloration at all i did have mine done by a pro it took him 1 hour and if i remember it cost about 100 or 125 dollars

there not the best pics but meh they will work

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Your tints looks nice kyle! :smileup: You should take some better pics and post them!

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Your pictures are fine. In Tennessee i think the law is 35%. I can't have tints because i'm old and can't see very well at night LOL!!! I would go 35% if i were young.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Get a pro to do it and call around and see what kind of warranties they offer. Some offer none, some offer one year, some offer lifetime. The tint on my car came with a lifetime warranty. I have seen way too many crappy do-it-yourself tint jobs where you can pick up the tint and install it for $20. It ends up peeling or bubbling and just looking red neck. It's a long term item that will be on the car and will make the car either look crappy or excellent depending on how it is done. I had mine put on 3 years ago professionally and love it!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
QUESTION...would it be smart to get the cut outs off ebay and then have a pro do them???

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
QUESTION...would it be smart to get the cut outs off ebay and then have a pro do them???
Probably not - a pro might guarantee their work, but definitely not materials that you supply to them. In order to get a good guarantee, the shop usually requires that you use their materials and labor - that way they have complete control over the job.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It seems that this thread has been dead for about a month but here is my 2 cents.

Caliberlover07 has a valid point about the do it yourself jobs, but the materials arent to blame... I worked at a graphics company here in new york and sure they used high end tint, but after I quit i have tinted windows on all my cars / friends cars using nothing but Wal-mart's tint. I have never had a problem with fading and it comes out looking great every time.

Its not an easy job and especially on the caliber (since i just tinted mine over last weekend) the rear door windows have large amounts of rubber and trim about 1" or more in the corners that you have to work in the tint, and its very tricky. If you are not familiar with tinting on many vehicles it will be tough and probably better to go to the pros.

For me however, total cost of $25 in materials and 2 hours of my own labor is way better than the near $250 it costs to get a full tint around my area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got my tint done professionally. $250 for 5% on all windows except the windshield and backed with a lifetime warranty. I love it... I think the stone white and the dark black looks great. It takes some getting used to at night, but you can always roll down your window if you really aren't sure.

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Got my tint done professionally. $250 for 5% on all windows except the windshield and backed with a lifetime warranty. I love it... I think the stone white and the dark black looks great. It takes some getting used to at night, but you can always roll down your window if you really aren't sure.

Woah ! That's dark :SHOCKED: it looks great though, even better since it's a white Cali :smileup: :rep:

P.S. I see you're new here, please when you get a chance go to the Newbie Checkin and introduce yourself !

·
Registered
362 Posts
I went to 2 places today for a price on tinting windows. wantedto do 20% in back & 35% in front, but NJ inspection does not allow front window tinting. not even 50%. That stinks because your trying to keep your car cooler & not having those windows tinted kind of defeats the purpose. I could do them, but I would have to take it off in 2 years to pass inspection.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts