Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was driving her 2007 calaber home and the door pannel started to smoke and then she saw fire. she pulled over and took my sons bottled water to try and put it out. She called the fire department and they said that it was started by the power window motor.
My wife has to drive a long distance to work every day so in 4 years she has put 80,000 miles on her car. 5,000 over the warenty. The dealer is no help and as of now neither is Chrysler. Has anyone else had this problem?
I filed a complaint with the NHTSA, and was just wondering if there were any others out there that have experianced this.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
First time ever I hear of this.

Good luck.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Yours is the first. Seems like this should be covered by your car insurance.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Mine has over 54,000 on it now and I've had it for 28 months. No problems like that. That's just freaky. Did she roll the window up and down a lot? I've never heard of that happening before. But I agree with Brad about your insurance covering it. After you pay your deductible, of course.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have 43xxx on mine and good that you reported it. Sure hope ypou had full coverage because liability prob wont cover this.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Ah yes "electrical causes" - the standard explanation for all mystery fires.

·
Administrator
6,509 Posts
Wow Yes thats a first! :( I had a Grand Caravan that I bought new in '92 that the drivers seat motor did that when it was about 6 months old , I used a halon fire extinguisher that I keep in the car on it. ended up getting a buy back due to other problems and got a Town & Country

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
better question: why didn't the fuse blow? it was obviously drawing too much power.
A motor with a shorted winding, or one that is stuck and continuously powered can pull enough current to overheat, but not enough to blow a fuse. Motors have an in rush current that is higher than once it's already turning. Keeping it at that in rush current will overheat it without the fuse blowing.

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
I used a halon fire extinguisher that I keep in the car on it.
Excellent choice!!! A great clean agent, that still to this day cannot be duplicated.
Although it is quite expensive since it hasn't been manufactured since 1994. I have a few in my house just in case I set the place on fire.....LOL!!

·
Administrator
6,509 Posts
Yes and the company had a 5 year replacement on it if you needed to use it so I got a new one free :) (Have 3 in the house)

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I've got quart jars of gasoline in my house. If it catches on fire, I want to make sure it's a total loss. LMAO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts