Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing brake switch in my Caliber (i have brake switch cruise control related code and cruise control is not engaging).

New brake switch has huge "DO NOT RE-INSTALL" words on it.
Mopar part manual describes used switch as "SCRAP - DO NOT REUSE" and warns again in separate "CAUTION: the switch can be adjusted only once" section and repeats itself for the third time in "Note: Discard the old switch, it cannot be reused". All on single sheet of paper.

Why is that?
Why mechanical switch cannot be reinstalled?
I'm not going to do so - just curious why they emphasize it so much.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I think with the brake switch once you install a new one and press the brake pedal the first time, it permanently sets the depth of the switch's plunger to match the travel of that particular brake pedal. If you then put the switch in another car whose brake pedal doesn't have as much travel, the switch may not activate when the pedal is pressed.

As to why there are so many warnings about not reusing a switch, I suppose it's because this design is unique(?) to Chrysler products and thus the average mechanic may not be aware of how it works. Could also be because it's a safety issue and thus also a potential legal issue if somebody gets hurt because a used switch was installed during a repair.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts