Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been a ton of whirring posts with many different possibilities as for the fix, but some of the other posts have confused me. My whirring started about a month ago (shortly after I had an oil change done). The whirring does not happen when idiling, it only starts around 20 mph and gets louder the faster I accelerate. When I take my foot off the accelerator, the noise will decrease until I apply the gas again. My car seems totally normal, except fot the whine.The noise is always there over 20mph and seems to be coming from the front, not pasesnger or driver side, but just the front of the car. There is no slippage or any other indicator like my transmission is the issue. This has been going on for about a month, so doubt if it is my alternator, which leaves bad wheel bearings, bad lower control arms, bad power steering pump (but I don't have a noise when I turn) or the belt tensioner/lower idler pulley. To make this more fun, my car was in a front end driver side accident. Most of the suspension on the left side and some on the right have been replaced, including the frame being straightened (pushed into a guide rail), but no damage to the engine. I'm not crazy about my dealers service, so I just wanted some info when I speak with them, so they don't treat me like a dumb woman. My car is a 2009 SXT with CVT trans, 56k, and I have the drivetrain warranty. Thanks in advance!

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I think the person that changed your oil checked or replaced your air filter and didn't close the air box properly. Many others found that to be the cause of what you're describing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. That was on correctly, in fact not sure when the last time it was checked since it had some eaten birdseed in it. Still makes the noise. Noise seems to be more related to the front wheels since the loudness increases or decreases with acceleration.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Nope. That was on correctly, in fact not sure when the last time it was checked since it had some eaten birdseed in it. Still makes the noise. Noise seems to be more related to the front wheels since the loudness increases or decreases with acceleration.
You may have a bad wheel bearing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had it to a garage to check the wheel bearings. He put it on a lift and listened with a stethescope and said it sounded like the transmission not the bearings. I have an appt with the dealer on Thursday and will post the outcome.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I had it to a garage to check the wheel bearings. He put it on a lift and listened with a stethescope and said it sounded like the transmission not the bearings. I have an appt with the dealer on Thursday and will post the outcome.
The CVT would have been the next possibility. It's always the last due to expense and the dread.

G

·
Please post your outcome as I have the same weird whining noise and I've just replaced a wheel bearing and still have the noise.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Please post your outcome as I have the same weird whining noise and I've just replaced a wheel bearing and still have the noise.
CVT whirring is already know around here to be the kiss of death. Everyone that has had it result in the replacement of the CVT.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It could be your Alternator Decoupler Pulley (ADP) -aka- Overrunning Alternator Decoupler (OAD) Pulley -aka- One-way Clutch (OWC) Pulley
The alternator will charge fine and the bearings inside the alternator are probably OK as well, but the pulley itself makes a racket.
Put a mechanics stethoscope (Harbor Freight $10) on the alternator with engine running at different RPMs.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
It could be your Alternator Decoupler Pulley (ADP) -aka- Overrunning Alternator Decoupler (OAD) Pulley -aka- One-way Clutch (OWC) Pulley
The alternator will charge fine and the bearings inside the alternator are probably OK as well, but the pulley itself makes a racket.
Put a mechanics stethoscope (Harbor Freight $10) on the alternator with engine running at different RPMs.
Seriously doubt it. When the decoupler goes it is more of a grinding or diesel engine sound. Her sound is varying with the speed of the car, not the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got the call from the dealer, it is the transmission. They have been great, letting me keep a loaner and ordering the parts. They say early next week it will be done. I asked if they will change the one cooler and they said they just flush it, clean it out really good unless there is noticable damage. Is that ok to do? I've read that the cooler should be changed out when the tranny is changed? Sorry to hear about your noise Kpat1, check your tranny.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My car should be fixed today, which I am excited about, however the dealer notified me that my front k frame is rusted and will not pass inspection. That has me quite pissed as it is a $650 repair and a 4 yr old car. They are checking to see if it is covered by warranty, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Four years and the front K frame is rusted? I have a very hard time believing this. I'd demand to be shown where the rust is. No way in hell I'd pay them $650 for a repair that SHOULD be covered under warranty. Don't let them do the repair unless you see it and Chrysler refuses to cover it. I think they're just trying to get some money out of your bank account so they can go Christmas shopping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did some research and the engine cradle (ie crossmember, k frame) was replaced by a used part when my car was hit 2 years ago, so that should be covered but still pissed I have to go to all this aggravation. Also glad that it is not the original K frame. The Dodge dealer has been great, the other shop, not so much. Thanks to everyone for their help! I really appreciate it! Here's to many miles of happy travels to everyone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same noise on my 2007 R/T 57K dealed said it needed new tranny($3300) it runs fine so I told him I will replace it when it dies or trade it in. I wonder how long it will last???? Yours still running??

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am having this same issue. Would this noise occur if the CVT fluid was low? Just trying to rule out everything first.

Thanks

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I am having this same issue. Would this noise occur if the CVT fluid was low? Just trying to rule out everything first.

Thanks
Could be, or internal issues.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
What is the easiest way to check the level? And top it off if required?
Clean your engine oil dipstick real good. Use it to check the level by removing the air intake/battery cover and find the transmission dipstick tube right near the bottom of the battery. Check the fluid at ambient temperature. If it falls into the safe zone, the fluid level is good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts