Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading this forum for a few months trying to figure out what is causing the noise. Only difference is mine is not changing. Doesn't jerk or any of that. Same repetitive whining noise but it rattles during acceleration when it's really hot.

I have taken some of the advice shown here. I have replaced the shocks, struts, brakes, air filters ect.... but the noise is still there. Some of you guys do not post what the issue was when you found out.

Is this a common issue with all newer Dodge vehicles or just the ones with CVT transmission?

I have been to 3 different Dodge dealerships and no one can tell what the noise is or even where it is coming from! They all say my transmission is fine.

Yes I am female.....and blond but I was an insurance adjuster and do know somewhat about cars. I am stumped on this so does anyone have any other suggestions besides getting rid of the car period!

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
Don't know for sure, but maybe it's the torque converter going bad.

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
I don't think the car would throw a code for something like that, but once again it's just a guess. When someone is asking about a noise they hear in their car, all we can do is offer are opinions, and you know what they say about that.....LOL!!

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Describe the whining again. Please tell me if it's low, medium, or high pitched. Tell me if it varies with the engine speed, the CVT operation, or the road speed. Does it do it with the radio on or off or both. Your description as it is does not help without the specifics.

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
You did not put it in your profile but is it a CVT you have?
07 so what kind of mileage?
Is it the whining as well or just the rattle you are asking about?
Of the posts you have looked at which come close to describing your symptom?
Some members get enough of a clue for themselves but do not return with the resolution. Others on here may help fill in the gaps.

What are your circumstances? Every time, just heat, what loads/acceleration.

Could be ECU, sensors, plugs, fuel or anything without specifics

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a continuous medium pitched whine. It stays the same regardless if the AC is on or the radio and doesn't matter how fast I am going. Almost sounds like its stuck in a gear but its not.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Are you sure it's actually from the transmission and not the a/c compressor or the alternator?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is an 2007. Yes, CVT. It has 76k miles. The sound is worse when i first start it up. Cold or heat doesn't seem to make a difference. I just had a tune up in May.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not the alternator. Just had that replaced as well as the battery.

A/C compressor? Wouldn't the sound differentiate if the AC was on or off?

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
pulley on the alternator

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
damn same minute too !

not many areas have same pitch at different speeds - stumped for now

Yes a/c would be different if on.

What about steering - does that have some compressor too?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure. I read in another thread that one of the persons whining noise was cause by the power steering but it's not that kind of whine.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I know what it is. You have a capacitor on a circuit board with a cold solder joint. Because it's not getting a good connection (worse when cold) it's creating a makeshift RC sine wave generator circuit. Hence the whining sound that never varies. The big question is which circuit board. It could be the gauge cluster, or the radio itself. Even with the radio off, some of it is still on. I've dealt with this issue a number of times when I was in my electronics career. The first time really had me going. It sometimes required using a stethoscope to localize where it was coming from.

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
So now we can fix the rattle ?

You're at 76k miles now, when did it all start ?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
So now we can fix the rattle ?

You're at 76k miles now, when did it all start ?
Yeah, now for the rattle. Is it a rattle, or is it engine knock? If it's engine knock, it could be a bad knock sensor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Brad. Not a knock at all. If I drive more than an our or so something rattles. Sounds like a lose screw or something. And it is mostly when i start it in the morning as well. I think the rattling started after i had the alternator and battery replaced but the whining has been since December or January. Either hasn't been bad till about the last 5k miles. Yes, i drive a ton!

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Thanks Brad. Not a knock at all. If I drive more than an our or so something rattles. Sounds like a lose screw or something. And it is mostly when i start it in the morning as well. I think the rattling started after i had the alternator and battery replaced but the whining has been since December or January. Either hasn't been bad till about the last 5k miles. Yes, i drive a ton!
The rattle could be the exhaust vibrating up against something.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts