Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The crappy plastics on the roof were fading, I cleaned them one month ago with a product for plastic (something like a "dashboard cleaner") but after painting the grill I realized they were a different color so today we (me and boyfriend always ready to help :smileup:) decided to spray them with the same paint of the grill (grill thread --> http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=38145)

Look ! A naked Caliber !!! :D

It's incredible the amount of dirt that was under the plastics... I also found 4-5 dead bugs :Wow1:

All the pieces ready to be sprayed

Before and after

Finally! They match the grill new color

Mounted

The only piece we were not really happy is the spoiler, it didn't turn out really good, but we run out of paint, so we will probably re-do it during the weekend. I'll also wash the car and take better pics.

Hint to remove the roof plastics... just PULL! :D

Most of the body clips will remain into the car though

So you will have to remove them (be careful they break easily!), we found it good to use 2 screwdrivers to lift them and press their lock

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Looks good - reps for the work!

Hint - the plastic rails are supposed to slide off the clips - push the rails forward to release them.

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
Looks great!!! :smileup: :wow: Wonder how the paint will hold up?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Great job, Licia &Ermes! And thanks for sharing the pics, very interesting to see this.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Nice work Licia! Tell Ermes that I'm impressed. LOL I was considering using some plastic paint on mine before it met its demise last year. Reps for the post and pics.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Good stuff Licia!

Now we can see from the pictures how to fix them if we need to replace the clips :smileup:

:worshippy:

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks to all for the comments and the reps :)

Looks good - reps for the work!

Hint - the plastic rails are supposed to slide off the clips - push the rails forward to release them.
so you remove the first one (the one on the front window that has a different kind of lock... pic#2) and then slide the plastics forward? This makes sense! But if I recall the first and the last clip housings have a vertical cut "|" while the others have horizontal cuts "- " (sorry I didn't take pics from under the plastics) ... ?

Looks great!!! :smileup: :wow: Wonder how the paint will hold up?
I'm curious too. Didn't wash the car yet but it's really hot and here after 2 days under the sun they are not fading. I also took a 500+kms trip and still good. But I think a pebble hit the grill while driving along the highway as there is a small chip already ...! :(

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks great! Would love to see some up to date pictures of both the grille and roof covers!
Thanks :) Don't have recent pics but the grill still looks great I had to re-do it due to some chips (mainly while driving on highways) but the color stays great ...the roof plastics have been shiny for a couple of month but then they lost the color and now they show some shadows again :( guess I'm too lazy to re-do them again lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, my name is Dee and I came across your thread. I am in search of the exact moldings that you had replaced on your caliber. I have a 07 Caliber. Is there anyway you could please point me in the direction where you purchased these parts? Were your parts expensive? My moldings are beginning to peel like a banana, and I am in need, while also on a budget. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks...:)

·
Super Moderator
12,112 Posts
Dee, Lycia did not replace hers. She took them off for a clean and repainted them with a PlastiDip coating.
Easy to do and if you don't like the finish it peels off for a second attempt.

If your edge lip has split and parted from the rail and you want to pay for replacement then look for a scrapper.
Best if you go and pull them off yourself, paying for the 'service' puts up the price.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjAtOaC8Y3LAhUEaxQKHQD-C4IQFggpMAE&url=http://www.centralfloridaautosalvage.com/used-parts/makes&usg=AFQjCNEmP6SFmnJsqU0zzHQ6WFpJEbiPNA

Look for Fl Auto wreckers near you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts