Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to put my new Garmin Nuvi? I'm planning in putting it centered on the dash underneath the rearview mirror...

but I have a couple (read: few) questions...

1. What's up with the "Dash Disc"? It's a smooth self-adhesive plate to attach the suction cup mount, but does the adhesive leave sticky (or foam) behind? Does it mar the dashboard (bad)?

2. Does anyone have it on the windshield? How does that work out for you? Does the charging cord get in the way? Where do you have it on the windshield?

3. Has anyone used the friction mount? Looks very promising, but I don't want to shell out $25-$40 for something that won't work...

Thanks!!

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
I use the suction cup mount on the upper left corner of the windshield, works fine there for me.:D

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I used the adhesive mount on the dash (dead center above the dash vents), but I used a 3M vinyl adhesive pad instead. I got the material at Staples. It comes on a roll. I also found interference and had to use a magnetic mount antenna to get consistent satellite lock.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Like prop1 we mounted ours on the dash, right above the vents. Again we also got the 3M sticky tape since it has much better hold power. I ran the power cord through the vent and behind the bezel. I spliced a power plug into the lighter outlet and hit that under the shifter. No wires hanging around.
With it on the dash, it's easier to reach, no stretching and quick and easy to get to when you want to put it away.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick replies...

I want to be able to remove it cleanly when and if I sell this car... to that end, does the Dash Disc or the 3M tape come off cleanly?

Also, has anyone used the friction mount (seen here)

And have any of you had issues with break-ins when the mount is clearly visible in the car (even if the GPS is stowed)?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies...

I want to be able to remove it cleanly when and if I sell this car... to that end, does the Dash Disc or the 3M tape come off cleanly?

Also, has anyone used the friction mount (seen here)

And have any of you had issues with break-ins when the mount is clearly visible in the car (even if the GPS is stowed)?
The 3M will come off cleanly, and with the use of a little mineral spirits, you'll never know anything was ever attached to the dash. I have the friction mount. It's nothing more than a beanbag filled with steel shotgun shot, and a material that doesn't like to slide. Mine sits in the closet. It looks like crap on the dash. I wish I had saved my money. No break ins. Most thieves aren't going to waste their time if the thing of value isn't visible.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
mines mounted on the lower left corner of the windsheild. I did it there cause its not right in my veiw, and its far enough away i don't want t otry and change anything while driving. Esepcially since it has a recharchable battery, no wires ever showing, then charge it at home

·
Registered
89 Posts
The friction mount is excellent, it does not move even during hard turns. Easy to put in the glove box or top stowage area and leaves no disc marks on windshield.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
How about trying to fit it into the little hole next to the steering wheel. The nuvi 200 should fit right in there.

I think mouser mounted his iPhone into that space on another thread.

Centre above the vents is the most symetrical and Ex's top left windshield is most practical.

Post some pics when you've decided where to put it.

:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, until I get the guts to stick something to my dash, it's residing just to the left of my rear view mirror (left-side aka american driver position). Will probably get the 3m tape and use the dash disk...

A couple (few) of more questions:

...Esepcially since it has a recharchable battery, no wires ever showing, then charge it at home
Did you buy a home charger, or can you charge from the computer? This is an ideal option for me because I bring it in every night/workday.

... 3M vinyl adhesive pad instead...
Do you scrape off the adhesive "foamie" on the bottom of the stock mount, or do you stick the 3m tape to the built-in adhesive?

How much should I expect to pay for a bit of this 3m vinal adhesive pad?

... I spliced a power plug into the lighter outlet and hit that under the shifter. No wires hanging around...
Do you have any pics/diagrams from that project? How did you adapt your cigarette lighter plug into the hardwire project?

Have any Garmin owners here have this issue?

I also found interference and had to use a magnetic mount antenna to get consistent satellite lock.
What model garmin do you have, and where do you attach the antenna to the GPS?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Do you scrape off the adhesive "foamie" on the bottom of the stock mount, or do you stick the 3m tape to the built-in adhesive?
I removed the foamie and cleaned the surface with mineral spirits, dried it, then cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol. Then attached the 3M and trimmed to size. This is the same base I used when the GPS was in my Land Rover. It left no telltale sign on the dash that it was ever there.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
i bought the home charger, i trust it more then using my computer to charge it, also the home charger will give a longer lasting charge, look at cell phones for example, computer charges are a quick charge and done shortly, were as a wall charger takes longer.
I havn't had my GPS long enough to see that issue come up yet

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I charge my Garmin with my auxiliary plug in front of the gear selector or at home from my U.S.B. port on my computer. The wire doesn't get in the way. I can run the power cord under or over the steering wheel. I only have my Garmin in the car when it is being used. I remove it when i arrive to where i am going, then put it in the bubble bag and put it in the glove box. It would be too easy to steal LOL!!! I have mine mounted in the little cubby hole, left of the steering wheel like Glenn and a few other members have.

·
Super Moderator
12,090 Posts
I have had my window smashed and mounting cradle stolen even though the GPS was not in the vehicle. I used a telephone holder successfully as it did not attract the wrong kind of attention as thieves do not expect mobile phones to be left in the car.

Any holders or ring marks on the windscreen can still be a problem. You would think with SatNav prices now under $100 the problem would go away like with stereo head units but NO.
Portable Sat Navs are easy to remove and sell, and thieves do not think of the value during their crimes. Economy is predicting an increase in crime.

·
Banned
511 Posts
I have had my window smashed and mounting cradle stolen even though the GPS was not in the vehicle. I used a telephone holder successfully as it did not attract the wrong kind of attention as thieves do not expect mobile phones to be left in the car.

Any holders or ring marks on the windscreen can still be a problem. You would think with SatNav prices now under $100 the problem would go away like with stereo head units but NO.
Portable Sat Navs are easy to remove and sell, and thieves do not think of the value during their crimes. Economy is predicting an increase in crime.
Aleks is right

in the city I work patrol for, within the last month we have had literally over 150 vehicles broken into and roughly 90 GPS' stolen. Most weren't even mounted. The thieves observed the suction cup mark in the windshield or the bracket, smashed the window, rifled through the interior, and got what they were looking for.

It is best (if just to save you from replacing your window) to simply take it in every night.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
its a bit of a old thread, but this is where I have my GPS mounted

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
How do you find it down their signal wise?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts