Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering, if one were to put in a CAI which should one go with.

There is the Mopar one that looks great, and should have good performance, but it is easily the most expensive one (Close to $300 on modernperformance.com).

The AEM intake looks similar to the Mopar setup expect it doesn't have the hefty price tag ($243 at modernperformance).

Then there is the K&N Aircharger system, it's the cheapest ($210 at modernperformance) CAI but it is made of plastic (could be a pro or con). I have heard stories of this one rubbing and cutting through a hose of some sort.

Of course there is always the K&N Drop in filter ($36 at modernperformance). Some say this is a good choice because the CAI can sometimes suck in warm air effectively making them WAI. This one is probably the best power to dollar ratio although it could be the lowest total power.

So, who here has any one of these? How would you rate them? What problems have you run into? and Which would you recommend? Also, if anyone has found other intakes please inform us.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I am wondering, if one were to put in a CAI which should one go with.

There is the Mopar one that looks great, and should have good performance, but it is easily the most expensive one (Close to $300 on modernperformance.com).

The AEM intake looks similar to the Mopar setup expect it doesn't have the hefty price tag ($243 at modernperformance).

Then there is the K&N Aircharger system, it's the cheapest ($210 at modernperformance) CAI but it is made of plastic (could be a pro or con). I have heard stories of this one rubbing and cutting through a hose of some sort.

Of course there is always the K&N Drop in filter ($36 at modernperformance). Some say this is a good choice because the CAI can sometimes suck in warm air effectively making them WAI. This one is probably the best power to dollar ratio although it could be the lowest total power.

So, who here has any one of these? How would you rate them? What problems have you run into? and Which would you recommend? Also, if anyone has found other intakes please inform us.
If I remember correctly, the Mopar is made by AEM. Several members on here have the K&N CAI and have no issues with them. I have the drop in K&N. You will feel a slight bottom end increase in torque, but dissipates rapidly. It's biggest benefit is not having a reoccurring cost for filter replacement and cleaning is seldom needed.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I also have the drop-in K&N, I'm satisfied. If you look at the stock air intake on the car, the air flows in from outside the very front anyway, so, I'm not sure there is any benefit to changing all of that "plumbing". The only real test is to run the car on a dynamometer before and after the change.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Unshielded CAI will suck in 40% hotter ait into the intake, because of the radiator. This is not BS. It's measured air temperature on the Caliber (SRT4, but all the same).

If you opt for an open air one like Mopar, K&N or AEM, make sure you at least have a heat shield.

A drop-in filter will do quite well in the Caliber and at least ensure you're breathing in cold air.

·
Registered
622 Posts
the k and n intake comes with a heatshield. and if youve had the engine running for a while, and you open the hood, with your hand you can feel a considerable temperature difference from the engine and inside the heatshield where the filter is. ive seen some pics where people mod the factory airbox and put it around the filter too. probably works well

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I still think the most cost-effective, and time saving method is the K&N drop in. You will get the most important benefits of K&N filters (better filtering, better airflow, virtually no maintenance) with little effort and low cost.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I still do not understand these types of threads. Wherever you get yout information from is all wrong. They are marketed as a COLD AIR INTAKE, which is NOT true. If you look at an import, all of thier intakes that are called COLD air intakes, relocated the air filter OUTSIDE the engine bay. usually behind the front bumper. These kinds of intakes are true cold air intakes. They are also not recommended for area's that get a lot of water on the roads. I have had a few friends in Civic's Hydro lock due to a puddle.

These intakes ARE however called Short Ram intakes. Basically the benefit of them is they allow for a generic Cone filter. they are nice, because they can be reusable, and they allow your engine to sounds more alive. A downfall is they do suck HOT air. Plus in my personal opinion, they sound like crap attached to an automatic. Nothing like a loud constant drone sound on the CVT's while your trying to climb a hill.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sorry for the rant... there are really only 1 thing that get me fired up.... everyone calling something that it is NOT. Example:

1. See above
2. Calling a part for a domestic car "JDM"
3. Calling tinted windows "tints"

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
My point exactly, just drop a K&N panel type filter into the existing filter box and be done with it. Nothing else you can install will do any better than the system engineered into the car - no matter what anyone wants to believe. (The K&N drop-in is an upgrade version of an OEM part - so it is not really a mod - think of it as synthetic oil vs. "dino" oil)

Actually, any 4 cylinder car sounds like crap if it is too loud - just listen to the Honda Civic "Tuners" out there - totally disgusting.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I had my mustang I had a true CAI on it, located inside a fender, I liked the sound it gave the engine, and that is the only reason I'd want a different intake. Otherwise, I think the Drop-in is the way to go as soon as i need to replace the air filter anyways. How often is that anyways? oh well, I'll check the manual. So now comes a new question. Is K&N the best Drop-in filter out there?

·
Registered
622 Posts
the drop ins are decent. but they dont give as significant of an HP gain as the whole intake. and like i said, you can feel a temp difference. the heatshield works pretty well. you can also feel a big difference in power after installing the intake vs just the drop in. (ive installed both on cars and driven them afterward) the intake gives a good difference. i doubt k and n would release it if it didnt. but they are rather expensive, so it all depends on if youre going for power and if you wanna spend the cash. and the honda sounds are damn stupid and they just put ratty autozone mufflers with no resonators. you can completely tell the difference between a car with an exhaust system and a car with a cheap muffler.

·
Registered
371 Posts
i doubt k and n would release it if it didnt. and the honda sounds are damn stupid and they just put ratty autozone mufflers with no resonators. you can completely tell the difference between a car with an exhaust system and a car with a cheap muffler.

actually, if they see a 20hp gain on one perticular model of car, that is all they need to see. The advertising says "Gains up to 20 hp!" it dosn't mean EVERY make and model will see the same 20hp result.

and 2, I don't know where you are from, but I have seen some civic's that are worth more then most people make in a year....

I may be an ass, but I think it is just wrong to hate on other cars when you are sporting altezza tail lights... Just sayin.

any car done nice is defenetly worth praise. No matter the make or model.

·
Registered
622 Posts
yes, but you can follow this link

http://www.knfilters.com/search/hp_search.aspx

and you can enter any car, truck etc info, and theyll bring you to a page with what parts they have for it and (most of the time) what HP youll gain with their intakes. for some cars it doesnt say, but most of them do.

and whats wrong with altezza taillights? im just saying the junkyard hondas with nothing on em and they just make em loud and annoying. i never said there werent nice hondas out there.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
All the intakes are loud, I have the K&N and I'm considering going back to stock. If it is true, K&N claims 7.94 HP @ 4457 RPM's. Hate to rip it out and find that it does make for better performance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well if you take it out I call dibs. I'm sure it has some type of performance value to it, even if it is just a little bit.

·
Registered
622 Posts
everybody has their opinions on parts. k and n is a widely used brand. there is a lot of trust in it by me, car people i know and mechanics everywhere. i doubt they would put it out if it didnt do anything. once i put it in, yes the car was much louder. especially when floored, but i did feel a good increase in get up and go.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
K&N has a nice filter...nice warranty ..warm or cold air ..it's still the amount of air getting in. so does the car sound funny while sucking in air from a tube?..automatic transmission sound funny?....sure it does. but so does old baseball cards on your bicycle hitting all the spokes....but wasn't it fun hearing the noise? everyone worries about what others think... I like what I do to my caliber. I don't care if you like it....as long as I like it. and i have a K&N. shouldn't have to wash it out for 50,000 miles...whats not to like about that? and it works....( I like the tube noise) only thing is, if I am hearing the rumble of the tube ...I'm not saving much on gas so I don't hear that tube noise very much. but the most important thing is...it works!!! I'm not a race car driver. I picked my caliber out because I liked he way it looked...I picked out the aftermarket items because I like what they do . ...just pick out the ones you like and get em. it would be pretty boring if everyone had the same look and sound on their caliber.. I'm glad mines different..

·
Registered
622 Posts
i dunno y jeep guy is talkin smack about my lights... i like them. and i generally dont like honda... anything honda. (ridgelines are ok, thats about it lol. i still wouldnt buy one) most likely bcuz where i live, ppl just put some crappy muffler on it and then drive it like its stolen. n e way. i agree with you texas. the k and n intakes do work and i like the noise as well. calibers arent race cars, but theyre zippy and theyre nice looking. especially customized. but there are only so many parts for calibers, so there will be some that are the same out there lol

Reactions: TEXASBOY

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am the person whose k/n cut into my upper radiator hose. After reading posts and studying the problem i am convinced that if i would have cut out the box where it rested against my dc strut bar that this would not have happened. So if you decide to get the k/n cold cai and have the dc strut bar installed, please cut out for the strut bar and don`t force the box in like i did. It took it 2 years but it finally bit me in the but and rubbed through the hose!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts