Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see any previous threads about this, so I assume it's just normal wear and tear. We had an extremely heavy rain this weekend, and it's still raining. I opened the gate to get my umbrella out of the back, and suddenly a stream of water came pouring out of the musicgate hinge. Not inside the actual speakers fortunately.

The water is obviously inside the gray plastic trim, but maybe not inside the gate itself, which is encouraging. I pulled out the rubber plugs on the gate, but it's all dry as a bone inside. I'm thinking either the window seal is gone, or the seal around the wiper. Anyone else have any thoughts? Or tips on getting a proper seal back?

Regardless of the source of the leak, I need to wait until the rain stops to fix it.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Your assumption is probably correct. The best way to make sure is to get into the cargo area, shut the hatch and have someone spray a strong stream of water around the window. Once you know where the exact leak is, you can apply some silicone sealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like it's the wiper. The gasket/boot doesn't cover much of the metal shaft, so water gets inside it. I can't think of a fix other than replacing the boot.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Maybe another smaller boot that fits the shaft tightly and creates an umbrella over the other one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts