Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though the actual part of the throttle that sends the signal to the throttle motor is electronic, the rest of the pedal assembly is mechanical and subject to sticking. My 2007 2.0 has had the throttle stick three times. Once when accelerating off a highway on ramp and once when leaving a stop light.
Today I installed bosch Iridium spark plugs. After a 20 mile drive I decided to reset the electronic throttle. After pressing the pedal to the floor and releasing I started the car and the throttle was stuck. I instantly shut off the ignition and got down on my knees to inspect the pedal assy. I found two bronze bushings on the floor near the pedal and when I moved the pedal it returned to the idle position. Without a flashlight I could not see anything and i had to kneel in an icy puddle. I will take a pic of the bushings and attach it to this post soon.
I have an appointment for an oil change at the dealer on Feb. 16 and as soon as they open on Monday I am calling the service dept. and informing them of my problem. I am going to request that they get some of these parts in stock so that when I bring the car in they are ready to fix the problem. I don't want to leave the car or have to wait for parts and make another appointment. I expect that they will want to take care of the problem promptly because I have complained about their service dept. when I filled out the post service questionnaire.
I have worked in the parts dept. of a transit system bus maint. facility for 32 years and all of our RTS buses have had an electronic throttle pedal since 1978. If the pedal part of the assy goes bad throttles can stick or refuse to move off idle.
Problem Found...
The two bushings fell out of the pedal assy. They support the shaft that the pedal pivots on. Now the pedal is able to move about 2" from side to side. When it is offset to the side is when it sticks at over 2/3 throttle.
I have an appoinment with the dealer tomorrow for an oil change and I tried to get them to order the throttle travel sensor ahead of time so that they could complete the repair in one visit. No Dice. I made them promise me that they will not keep the car until the part arrives. I am not giving them the bushings until the new part has been installed.
The inside of the bushings has some crud built up on it where the shaft rotates inside it. This Caliber was built in April 2006 and has the throttle with the low range stop in it. I guess I will be getting a throttle without the low range stop. Perhaps everyone who reads this should inspect the throttle pedal assy. on their Caliber to see if the bushings are hanging out the side of the assy. This pedal felt fine until the first time it stuck. There was no warning, just a big suprise!!!
I am notifying the Auto Safety Hotline of this potentially dangerous problem.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
Thanks for the info!! I'll keep an eye out for that problem.:str:

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Your's is the first to exhibit this issue on this site. I'm not saying it couldn't happen to anyone else, but it's hardly an issue at this point. But it is noteworthy with regards to any future reports. My Caliber was manufactured in May 06, and hasn't had the issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your's is the first to exhibit this issue on this site. I'm not saying it couldn't happen to anyone else, but it's hardly an issue at this point. But it is noteworthy with regards to any future reports. My Caliber was manufactured in May 06, and hasn't had the issue.
The point is that it happens without warning. You may be an excellent driver and be able to handle a stuck throttle, but everyone who drives a Caliber is not a 1st class driver. Who else drives your Caliber? Do you have a wife driving yours with several kids strapped in their seats?
Kinda like if a scout leader or priest molests a kid. The fact that they haven't touched my kid yet does not inspire me to tell other parents "Don't worry, he hasn't messed with my kid. I feel Ok about a sleepover".
Just my $0.02

Reactions: JOJOCHINTO

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
The point is that it happens without warning. You may be an excellent driver and be able to handle a stuck throttle, but everyone who drives a Caliber is not a 1st class driver. Who else drives your Caliber? Do you have a wife driving yours with several kids strapped in their seats?
Kinda like if a scout leader or priest molests a kid. The fact that they haven't touched my kid yet does not inspire me to tell other parents "Don't worry, he hasn't messed with my kid. I feel Ok about a sleepover".
Just my $0.02
The only point I was trying to make, is that one case is serious, but until it happens to someone else, it doesn't mean it's an inherent problem in all Calibers. It could be that you were the only one to get this defect. It could be that it's only a concern with April 06 Calibers, or only SXTs, or only 07s prior to a certain date. I check the NHTSA regularly for complaints on the Caliber. There have never been any regarding the gas peddle issue you have. I would recommend you file a complaint with them. It is a safety issue, and they will investigate it to see if a recall is needed.;)

·
Super Moderator
12,405 Posts

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I went through the NHTSA complaints today. I came across theses:

CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10223137
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL
Details: 1. EVENTS LEADING UP TO THE FAILURE, ACCELERATING FROM LIGHT MAKING A LEFT HAND TURN. 2. FAILURE AND ITS CONSEQUENCES, BUSHING OF GAS PEDAL FELL OUT AND CAUSED THE ENGINE TO SERGE TO 5,000 RPM, APPLIED BRAKES AND RATE OF ACCELERATION SLOWED, HAD TO TURN ENGINE OFF TO BRING VEHICLE TO A STOP. 3. WHAT WAS DONE TO CORRECT THE FAILURE; SERVICE DONE BY DEALER, REPLACED GAS PEDAL ASSEMBLY [ 04891623AR 06068B3B 24936F 43595418901 LHD ] (OLD PART IS AVAILABLE). *TR
Occurrences: 1 Injuries: 0 Fail Date: 04/02/2008 Deaths: 0 Date added to datbase: 4/2/2008
and

CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10216610
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL
Details: TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 DODGE CALIBER. WHILE DRIVING 55 MPH, THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL SNAPPED AND WENT UNDERNEATH THE BRAKE PEDAL WHEN IT WAS DEPRESSED. AS A RESULT, THE BRAKE PEDAL COULD NOT BE DEPRESSED. THE VEHICLE WAS PULLED OFF THE ROAD AND THE EMERGENCY BRAKE WAS APPLIED IN ORDER TO STOP THE VEHICLE. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO THE DEALER AND THEY REPLACED THE PLASTIC PEDAL WITH ANOTHER PLASTIC PEDAL. THE CURRENT AND FAILURE MILEAGES WERE 36,000. UPDATED 02/15/08. *LJ
Occurrences: 1 Injuries: 0 Fail Date: 01/29/2008 Deaths: 0 Date added to datbase: 1/31/2008

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent detective work Prop1 !!! Kudos to you. I will file a report after my car is fixed this Fri.

·
Registered
939 Posts
« I don't want to leave the car or have to wait for parts and make another appointment.»

Good luck with that! I look forward to hearing how the dealer handles this for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you

Mike! I was researching the internet as I am due to pick up my caliber from the dealer today for the same problem you had. I was traveling , moving actually, across country when what I know now from your post was the throttle sticking, I was on the interstate and able to put it in nutral and then in drive and it was working normally. It was scary not knowing why my gas peddle went to the floor and the car launched forward but I was moving and had 3 animals and etc so I kelp moving forward. By the time I got to my new home 3 days later it had happened 3 times and then the electical throttle warning light came on and it happened 2 more times getting to the dealer. They tell me now they reset the system and hope it will not happen again but if it does then I will need a sensor replaced but they are not sure and will investigate if it is not fixed. This seems like a serious problem that could kill people if not all people think fast and act well when it happens and if it has happened with yours and mine, I wonder how many more it has happened with? I know it is the same as yours now because after reading your post the light came on. I was cleaning my car out after the move and found the same two copper looking rings that you found , I just did not know what they were. I make jewlrey and art and I thought they were part of a bag of beads that burst during the move. I now have dug them out and am going to take them to the dealer and your post on my phone and show them and see what they say. I'm thinking this needs to be a recall before it kills people? what do you think? Have you found more people with this proble?

·
Registered
3 Posts
it has happened to me now also and the dodge dealer does not know what it is. Just lucky to find the post with pics and remember finding the same thing. I'm not car savy but this does sound like a very serious problem to me. I was very scary and I know if I had been pulling out from a drive onto a main road ever it could kill people. I would like to get the word out to people so that they to will know what it is when they take it to the dealer and the dealer tells them "we have reset the system and it should be ok now, but if it happens again bring it back in and we will investigate more and you may need new sensors." When it is these little things that come off that cause the problem. Seems like big trouble for dodge and alot of sadness for someone whe does not react well and gets killed, or maybe someone already has been killed and we don't know it because the dead can't talk?Think about it. Please let me know fo any avenues you know for me to get this problem with this otherwise great car noticed and recalled if needed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
:doh:Anyone else notice the we have CTS throttle pedal modules in our Calibers??? The same company that makes them for Toyota. Wonder if we'll be getting recalls????
Attached Thumbnails

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
:doh:Anyone else notice the we have CTS throttle pedal modules in our Calibers??? The same company that makes them for Toyota. Wonder if we'll be getting recalls????
Attached Thumbnails

Who knows??? Quite possibly!! I'm well prepared now if the problem occurs, just think clearly if it does.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What is the idea of no physical connection with the motor now anyway? If it ain't broke don't fix it!
you can not the power and economy from a computer controlled variable valve timed engine with the old style cable to the carburettor setup.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thats what I meant, I was talking about Fuel Injected cars. They were cable attached to the throttle, why change other than maybe saving money on said cable :p

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Thats what I meant, I was talking about Fuel Injected cars. They were cable attached to the throttle, why change other than maybe saving money on said cable :p
The CVT wouldn't be able to operate efficiently without throttle-by-wire.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts