Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I'm not an ASE Certified mechanic or anywhere close, but I have to ask this question. Is there any chance that the struts you bought are NOT the same for both sides? What I mean is are they side specific? If they are, maybe you got the one for the left side on the right and the one for the right side on the left. That's about the only thing I can think of. I've never heard of anyone gaining that much ride height just by changing struts. I've replace a LOT of them over the past 45 years and never had an issue like that at all. Did you double check the part #'s and compare the new ones with the old ones? They should have been very close to the same height, no matter that the old ones were worn. Upon looking at a couple of different parts websites, I see that the struts ARE side specific. The extended length is 20 and 1/16th of an inch and compressed they measure 13 and 9/16th. The travel length is 6 and 9/16th. I don't know if these measurements will help you or not. Keep in mind that's FULLY EXTENDED and FULLY COMPRESSED measurements.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I don't know what else to tell you. I'm sorry that I can't help. I'm just wondering why nobody else seems to even have a suggestion. Why don't you try allpar.com and see if someone there can help. There are two members I trust implicitly and I've been a member there for a LONG time. They're Imperial Crown and Dana44. IC actually owns a Caliber too!

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Thanks for the update and good luck with finding that used trans. I just find it kind of "coincidental" that it took a dump while the stealership had it. I don't believe in coincidence. I'd have it brought home and check it out myself, but then again, I'm a very suspicious, paranoid old fart that doesn't trust anyone else to work on his cars!

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
What you described sounds more like a clutch problem. If one of the springs in the fiber clutch broke and came apart, it could cause crap like that to happen, I think. BUT, as I've stated, I'm NOT a mechanic and really don't know **** about anything. I just hate to see people get screwed because of something someone else tells them. Me, I want to see the old parts and proof, before you'll convince me.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Well, just keep us posted, okay? And if I were you, I'd go ahead and get that transmission in Toledo. Even if you don't need it, I don't think you'd have any problem reselling it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts