Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an occasional problem with my 08 caliber. It starts fine and runs good most of the time but occasionally after I start the engine it will bog down once after a few seconds, then after about 20 seconds it will die. Immediately after shutting off something will click 3 time, wait about 10 seconds, click 3 more times, and then again after 10 seconds. But then it will start fine for a while. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm no pro but sounds like an issue possibly with the fuel pump relay? I'd do some searching on that if nobody else chimes in :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
When it dies turn off the key, then turn the key to the ON position (the position before you would actually start to crank it) and listen for a quiet hum from the rear of the car that will last 2-3 seconds. That's the fuel pump priming. If you don't hear that whine, then your fuel pump and/or the wiring to it is suspect. The electrical connection on the top of the pump is known for sometimes corroding or having heat-related damage...you can easily check that by removing the rear seat bottom and then removing the access panel you'll find underneath it...that'll expose the top of the fuel tank where the pump is located.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much. If this is the problem, would it happen just on start up or would it happen at various times? It doesn't cut off any other time other than when it first starts then works fine until after the car has been cut off and doesn't happen every time that you start it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Depending on the reason for the fault it could happen at anytime...an intermittent failure when cold, or when warm, or whatnot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have replaced the fuel pump. The car is still doing the same thing. I also need to add, I checked the voltage at the connector and it would go between about 12.3 and 10.5 volts. It would be at 12.3 when the key is switched on and then after the pump stops it would go down to 10.5. Not sure if that is normal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you looked at the relays? The contacts inside them can get burned up and not send solid power.

With skill, you can open up their covering to check, or better, just replace them with new or junk yard finds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts