Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Well I am going in next week for a very *cough* over priced transmission service for my caliber at 60,000 next week. Doing some research I think my vehicle may also need the TSB 18-031-17. it ticks sometimes after turning off - maybe exhaust, I don't know, but aside from perhaps having a low fluid issue (who knows anymore- unfortunately becoming more and more disgruntled with my caliber daily) I think the TSB is a good idea because I also have sluggish performance. I am also having a complete brake job done because I am betting i have a warped rotor issue too (Praying for the best - pads only - planning on the worst). As you can tell, I am doling out the big bucks here. so my question is ----has anyone had this TSB done and what did it cost you at the dealer? Keep in mind, I am no longer under warranty and No, I don't have the lifetime warranty because I bought the car in '06.

Maybe someone can restore my faith in my little caliber that I used to love so much. Thanks All!

Gayle

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Most TSB are covered under warranty. Especially the drivetrain.

Ticking sound is the just exhaust line cooling down (metal expands as it warms up).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not under warranty anymore - I don't have extended drivetrain warranty either because I bought the car in 06. So, am I going to have to pay for the TSB?

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Depends what's the TSB. Have a link for it? I can't find this one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
found it in the forum in the TSB/recall section on the first page I think. there are a few threads too....had to scroll a little

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I am not under warranty anymore - I don't have extended drivetrain warranty either because I bought the car in 06. So, am I going to have to pay for the TSB?
Depends what's the TSB. Have a link for it? I can't find this one.
Come on mouser, you remember the infamous Launch/Performance [actually it's] TSB 18-031-07. The first major TSB! TSBs will cost if you're not under warranty. Only recalls are free forever.

I was fortunate to have a dealer that performed every TSB I requested, and automatically did any when I brought it in for any reason.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Come on mouser, you remember the infamous Launch/Performance TSB. The first major TSB!
I'm trying so hard to forget that one :/

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
exactly. How I wish I caught this one at 36,000.....sigh....either of you or anyone heard about how much it costs if not under warranty? I am looking a pretty big bill here already - tranny service, brake job (dumb probably warped routers), new tires last week....and *cringe* probably this TSB. So a cost estimate is def. helpful....especially with my past dealings with dealers these days

·
Registered
355 Posts
i had that that tsb done when my car broke down and that was the solution, and yes it makes a huge difference, better gas mileage and more performence. For me it like a different car, it also changed my shift points i have the 5 speed.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I can't be sure, as dealers have different rates. I would guess in the $100-150 range. If they're doing the other work, maybe if you talk nice, they'll give you a break, or throw it in for free.

This is why in this day and age, I always pay the extra for the extended warranty. Cars are too complex, and if you can't do the repairs yourself, the extended warranty gives you piece of mind.

·
Registered
719 Posts
you could always skip the brake job at the dealer and find an independent brake repair facility to do the brakes for you. Your dealer is going to give you a one year warranty at best on the brakes. I worked for a dodge dealer and thats the only warranty they give on their brakes. Most independents will give a lifetime as they usually get their brake parts from places such as NAPA, CarQuest, or AutoZone.. If it were me i would get the trans service done at the dealer, the brakes done elsewhere and as far as the TSB dont we have a "launch fix" that we were doing ourselves that may take care of this problem??

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
as far as the TSB dont we have a "launch fix" that we were doing ourselves that may take care of this problem??
The TSB was a software update for the PCM, the CVT, and the A/C. The "Procedure" only changes the throttle response. The TSB is a must. But I agree with you, the dealer brake jobs are over priced and only put on the same OEM crap. And a brake shop will put better quality brakes on and will do lifetime warranties.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very True Brad. However, the tranny service since it is "maintence" like an oil change I don't believe is covered (unless I am wrong?) neither are brakes or tires in an extended warranty. Ah, the joys of owning a car. I am more just frustrated with the trans. I have a VERY good mechanic who told me that he even looked at the temp chart for the trans fluid and said its not that hard to read.......just can't get the special dipstick = Dodge making some extra money. You know how it goes...... and $150 to reprogram the computer? Yikes! I am not trying to be difficult and I will try to talk them down.....just feel like this is a start of a lot of little snags with my once beloved caliber.

wish someone could restore my faith in my little caliber.....seems to have more problems lately than if I had bought dare I say......Toyota....sigh.......it makes me so sad....my family has always owned dodge.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and yes - I am getting my brakes done at my mechanic. Should have said that before. The dealer asked me if I wanted brakes the other day and I told him no way.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Very True Brad. However, the tranny service since it is "maintence" like an oil change I don't believe is covered (unless I am wrong?) neither are brakes or tires in an extended warranty. Ah, the joys of owning a car. I am more just frustrated with the trans. I have a VERY good mechanic who told me that he even looked at the temp chart for the trans fluid and said its not that hard to read.......just can't get the special dipstick = Dodge making some extra money. You know how it goes...... and $150 to reprogram the computer? Yikes! I am not trying to be difficult and I will try to talk them down.....just feel like this is a start of a lot of little snags with my once beloved caliber.

wish someone could restore my faith in my little caliber.....seems to have more problems lately than if I had bought dare I say......Toyota....sigh.......it makes me so sad....my family has always owned dodge.....
I was only referring to the repair items and TSBs, not the maintenance items. Another reason why not having the brakes done by the dealer would be more cost effective. Dealers usually get twice what a good brake shop charges.

·
Registered
127 Posts
my local dealership has the brake package front or rear for $170 with a lifetime warranty

1 - 16 of 16 Posts