Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Trunk won't stay open anymore - help

12K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  shawncorrigan44 
#1 ·
As soon as I am opening the trunk on my 07' Dodge Caliber SXT it just closes right away unless I am standing there holding it up. It starts to get really annoying having the hatch back hit my head every time I am trying to load/unload something.

The problem started last winter, and at first it only occurred when it was really cold outside (below zero temperature) and I was parking on a hill (my driveway). Then this spring when it got warmer it started to work fine again, until now, when the temperature outside went down below 40F. Now it is a lot worse, the trunk won't even stay open when my Caliber is parked leveled.

Is this a warranty issue? Is this something I can fix this myself, then how? Do I have to take it to a work shop? Anyone else having the same problem? Would it be expensive to fix?

#2 ·
You need to replace the gas charged liftgate props. They are simple to unbolt and put new ones on. If you still have warranty left, they may be covered, but I suspect they will be considered a wear item.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.