Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have only had my cali since september, not even 6000 miles on it yet...and the black textured trim that is on the doors (where next to the window, where you'd put your hand to close the door) has started pulling and peeling back off of the paint. At first this texture seemed like it was part of the paint, but now it is apparent it is a laminate type texture wrapped around that section of the door----has anyone else had experience in this starting to peel off? back to the dealer tomorrow morning...seems i'm there regularly, ugh.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
do you have a photo to show us what you mean, are you on about the pillers..
mines painted, i know this because i had a chip and had to re-touch it...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey all---i tried taking a photo---but with sun and glare and the translucency of the the glass on the edge it just wasnt showing up enough. but my 07 has "black out tape" and not just like a section of rhino-lining. and it is peeling back. i noticed not all of em have this, so it makes me wonder if its worth having it removed and not have to worry about it? personally i like it blacked out.... :-/

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
i see what you mean now, you have the marine blue and it as the black
plastic covers, mines the black caliber so i don't have them:rolleyes:..
well what colour is under the plastic,
personally i would get the dealer to replace it as it looks nice on..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i think that it is the standard paint underneath...but agreed, i like the look so i do not want to revert to taking it off. we'll see what they say tomorrow! thanks for fast & helpful replies everyone!

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
yeah i think that it is the standard paint underneath...but agreed, i like the look so i do not want to revert to taking it off. we'll see what they say tomorrow! thanks for fast & helpful replies everyone!
Worse case scenario, you have the dealer replace it.;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
went in this morning...they did not seem to surprised to see this happening, are ordering the stuff and will fix it up later this week...such a pain.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
well at-least its being replaced for you, and yes such a pain, i still await a part my dealers removed from my caliber, i asked them to replace it, i have been waiting 6 weeks
for this, still waiting.. so i understand how you feel.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Mine's been bubbling at the bottom, so the top of the door edge/bottom of the window. Mine's two years old now so I doubt they'll do anything about it. I like the look of it as well, using stickers I'll never understand - just paint it black in the first place.

It's like when I saw those "sport" dodge ramps with the double stripe up the middle and around the back. I thought that was painted on but lo' and behold - stickers. That truck looked great with it too, and the stock sport rims were nice too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having this same problem, on my 2007 Caliber SXT; the blackout tape on the door posts has come unglued along the door edge, and in cold weather this past winter it cracked and broke off where it was bubbling. I am having my 30,000km service done today, and will see what the dealer has to say about it.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Hey morir, i hope you got the trim fixed today mate..that should not have happened, i'm glad mine doesn't have it...
now if you go here Newbie Checkin! and start a new thread so we can welcome you..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Blackout Tape covered under warranty

Just back from the dealership; the peeling blackout tape is still covered under warranty(purchased my '07 caliber in the summer of '06). They do have to order it in, and I'll have to make another appointment to have it put on. So if anyone is having the same problem, don't worry, it's covered! I also had a look at the new Caliber SRT...wow....! I think I need a trade in.......

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
went in this morning...they did not seem to surprised to see this happening, are ordering the stuff and will fix it up later this week...such a pain.
I LOVE this place. I was bummed because I thought someone had possibly hit that plasticy piece and cracked it. I think now it's just a defect. I'll add it to my list of to do's when they do the TSB's. THANK YOU:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So i think i need to follow up to my original thread here----the dealer replaced the blackout tape on the problem door no questions asked. they ordered it, i went back and they fixed it. Well now a the door they FIXED is bubbling...and another door is starting to peel. Anyone have any long term solutions? Im not gonna be going in to get the exterior fixed up every few months...Shame on dodge cheaping out with stickers here....

·
Registered
189 Posts
I know im bringin up a dead post but i just realized that mine are all effed up too! Ehh Lame hope its a quick fix and they dnt hassle me!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I am sure the body post between the doors is painted so if it were me and the vehicle was no longer under warranty i would just remove it and leave it that way. Or if you want it black..then scuff it, sand it, smooth it, prime it and paint it..That way you dont have to worry about bubbling tape.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
mine is 3 years old now and i have a hole since the last few weeks...
:(
i asked my dealer what the price is... one 21.00 euro...

but i've seen a friend has the same hole....
but unfortunely i'm out of warranty!
:(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts