Dodge Caliber Forum banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

· The Organizer
15,141 Posts
My local auto supply store noticed my trim fading today.

He suggested WD40....said it would shine it back up.

Has anyone tried this?
I wouldn't. Plastic and a petroleum product don't mix too well when the plastic isn't made for it. It will also cause road dust to stick to it. The first time I noticed the fading of the trim, I used Armorall. Just 24hrs later, it was caked with dust. The best product is still the Forever Black.

· Registered
381 Posts
I've discussed this else where. I have this problem, and even toured my dealer's lot and showed the body shop manager that there was two types of plastic on the cars in his lot. He agreed they were different, but only offered it was probably due to different vendors supplying the factory. The one I have has an open pore surface that allows water minerals and dust to collect in them. It requires me to use Mother's Back To Black after each washing to keep it looking good.

I have tried a test painting on it with Krylon Fusion paint, but yesterday I tested it and it scratched off. I've used this paint on other plastic and never had it scratch off so easy.

If someone ever comes up with a product that fills these pores, do post what it is.
Go to Griots.com It is a car care company here in the Northwest. They might have something for that. I only use their products on my cali. The interior cleaner is the BOMB. And the window cleaner is safe on tint. go check it out. :smileup:

· The Organizer
15,141 Posts
Go to Griots.com It is a car care company here in the Northwest. They might have something for that. I only use their products on my cali. The interior cleaner is the BOMB. And the window cleaner is safe on tint. go check it out. :smileup:
You should have read further. I found the product- Forever Black.

· Registered
3,302 Posts
it does work...I applied it to my trim as soon as I found it and it looks great...just had to figure out how to make it apply evenly...took a little effort....but the results are well worth it.... thanks to Brad and his research.... forever black really works ya'all.......I been using other stuff and it still faded....so now....it's forever black......gotta love the name...

· The Organizer
15,141 Posts
it does work...I applied it to my trim as soon as I found it and it looks great...just had to figure out how to make it apply evenly...took a little effort....but the results are well worth it.... thanks to Brad and his research.... forever black really works ya'all.......I been using other stuff and it still faded....so now....it's forever black......gotta love the name...
You must have missed my special instructions for applying it. Apply it, and immediately rub it in with a damp cloth to spread it evenly.;)

· Registered
2 Posts
I have an 07 sxt that the exterior trim on the door posts sort of sagged and then cracked at the bottom. Took it back to the dealer who scratched his head and then replaced them, after six weeks of waiting on their timely arrival. Five months later the same sagging & cracking has occured on the new ones. I have since been noticing the same feature on several of the Calibers around here. I noticed that they seem to have discontinued that trim piece on the newer models. Any word on a recall? Perhaps a free painting to replace the plastic?
This is my first visit and post. Was looking for a solution to the vanishing brake light phenom and found it, so I thought I'd try to see if this issue was popping up and it looks like only a little.
Great forum.

· The Organizer
15,141 Posts
I have an 07 sxt that the exterior trim on the door posts sort of sagged and then cracked at the bottom. Took it back to the dealer who scratched his head and then replaced them, after six weeks of waiting on their timely arrival. Five months later the same sagging & cracking has occured on the new ones. I have since been noticing the same feature on several of the Calibers around here. I noticed that they seem to have discontinued that trim piece on the newer models. Any word on a recall? Perhaps a free painting to replace the plastic?
This is my first visit and post. Was looking for a solution to the vanishing brake light phenom and found it, so I thought I'd try to see if this issue was popping up and it looks like only a little.
Great forum.
There is a TSB to repaint vertical surfaces. You can find in the Recalls and TSBs area.

· Registered
346 Posts
Been a while since anyone has written anything about trim fading. when I bought my Caliber, I also had some fading on trim. I bought that Ice wax from Turtle Wax, which also can be applied to black trim & plastic mouldings. Used it & it worked great. Killing two birds with one stone. But you do have to apply it in the shade so it doesn't dry streaky. Keep your cloth handy for I wiped it off as soon as I applied it.Do this a couple of times & you will get results. I know it's alot of work but it wiil definitely make a improvement. Hope this info helps.

· Registered
22 Posts
Beleive it or not I use Black Magic Tire Wet for that. What I do is spray it into a rag and swirl it into the trim. You need to go over it two or three times for it to "absorb." I did this on the front air defelector (at the bottom of the bumper) which was beginning to turn white in places. Worked on it with Tire wet and it now it looks great. The Tire Wet and Protectant I think are the same formula.

· Premium Member
10,257 Posts
I used Meguiars Ultimate dash and trim restorer this weekend down in Gatlinburg, seems to work well. I'll see how it holds up over time, but it was a major improvement.

· Registered
1,263 Posts
I used krylon fusion for plastic gloss black to restore color. So far its holding up on my test area

· The Organizer
15,141 Posts
I used krylon fusion for plastic gloss black to restore color. So far its holding up on my test area
I did a test using that myself. My report has been lost in all the talk on this subject. My results showed after 3 weeks that the Krylon started to flake off when rubbed.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts