Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm hoping the group can help me with a problem with my wife's 2.0L SXT. The car at times acts like it wants to stall at idle, such as sitting at a red light. It doesn't do it all the time, but it's starting to get worse. Acceleration is fine and normal, but at an idle it can get rough and at times will stall out. When it does stall the car will start right back up. She says it seems to act up more when it rains or there is water on the road. I drove it the other day when it was raining and it tried to stall it idle four times in a 20 minute drive.So far I've replaced the spark plugs, changed the air filter, changed the PCV value, and changed the IAT sensor. Today to test the coil packs I misted the coil packs with a water spray bottle with the car idling looking for a spark or rough idle when spraying a particular coil pack. The car idled just fine, I saw no sparks, and the idle didn't get any rougher when the water was sprayed.I'm at a loss for what could be causing this intermittent rough idle. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can check/replace?Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had spaces and formatting when I typed the post. Not sure why it clumped it into one big paragraph...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Are there any codes that have been stored?
Try buying a can of Seafoam cleaner at your local
auto store use it as directed , it maybe a dirty
intake manifold.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any codes that have been stored?
Try buying a can of Seafoam cleaner at your local
auto store use it as directed , it maybe a dirty
intake manifold.
No codes at all. Thanks for the seafoam suggestion. I can try seafoam but have never used it before. Anyone have anything else I can check for?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Unfortunately, cars are so complicated these days that the problem could be caused by a myriad of things...even an obscure sensor feeding bad data to the computer can cause weird things to happen. You might need to bite the bullet and have a mechanic take a look.

Keep in mind that scan tools aren't only for viewing error codes. A mechanic with a high-end scan tool will also be able to monitor all of the various sensors and operation of the car in real time while it's running. If it begins to stall at idle, he/she would be able to see indications of the cause on the scan tool (like a sensor isn't putting out an expected signal or whatnot). Since you said that the car isn't throwing a code, this would sound like the next step in diagnosing the problem.

Having said that, there's one thing I would suggest you try first. With the car running, mist water from underneath onto the driver's side of the engine compartment. Be sure to get the area in front of the driver's side front tire. If the rain is causing an intermittent short in either the TIPM module or the wiring coming to/from it, or the relay box hidden behind the driver's side front bumper (an area prone to corrosion), this test could cause the problem to occur.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
You might get a can of throttle body cleaner and try cleaning it. You don't say how many miles are on it, but a good cleaning never hurts anyway. Clean that throttle body. And do NOT use carb cleaner. Make sure it says throttle body cleaner on the can.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has about 53k miles. I'll try cleaning the throttle body, running some seafoam in the gas tank, and possibly the throttle position sensor. I will figure this out although I'll probably end up replacing some parts unnecessarily. I'll let you know what happens after I perform the tasks above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts