Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Yes but why?
It's a 15 year old car and a 16 year old transmission. The labour cost of doing it for an unreliable result is questionable.

But if its otherwise a good car. parts are free and you're doing it at mates rates then have a lark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because, I did a engine swap myself, I’m doing the tranny swap myself and I’m a broke ass college student that can’t afford a new car and found a tranny with 117k miles for under $800 with shipping.

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Hoping it goes well. Do a write up for the forum of your tips and experiences.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Have you checked any local pick-and-pull yards to see if there are any CVTs with fewer miles on it? $800 for one with 117K seems awfully expensive...you should be able to do a lot better at a local yard

·
Registered
253 Posts
Because, I did a engine swap myself, I’m doing the tranny swap myself and I’m a broke ass college student that can’t afford a new car and found a tranny with 117k miles for under $800 with shipping.
I recommend against this. You might go through all the expense and work to swap the transmission and find that the replacement either does not work, or it begins to fail after just a few thousand miles.

When the CVT fails, these cars should be junked / parted out. They are not worth fixing. In general, you should avoid buying any car with a CVT, they are all crap.

A very cheap and older Toyota or Honda with a regular automatic transmission will be much more reliable and cost effective. Given your budget concerns, something like this would be a much better idea than replacing the CVT in your Caliber: For sale 98 Toyota RAV4 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have to disagree with John...given the current situation with new cars being unavailable and used cars being sold for crazy prices, repairing what you have may be the best option currently. If the car is in otherwise good condition, I'd take a chance on a CVT replacement if you can source a low mileage unit for a reasonable cost

·
Registered
253 Posts
...I'd take a chance on a CVT replacement if you can source a low mileage unit for a reasonable cost
A low cost replacement transmission is going to be risky....besides a crash, the most likely cause of a Caliber being parted out or going to the junkyard is a bad CVT....it is the one part on the Caliber you don't want to take without knowing for certain it is good.

On the other hand, there are plenty of used cars available for a 2-3 thousand that likely to be much more reliable. For example: 2002 Toyota Highlander V6 LE - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts