Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I own a Dodge Caliber SE 2007 with CVT(23K Miles) yesterday the transmission overheating light coming on. and when i acelerate the car dont run. I had to get the transmission cold to run again. Do anyone know why happen this ? Thaks

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Were you driving through a lot of hills, or towing something? If neither of those, then maybe the fluid is low. Take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
When the transmission (or engine) is overheating, the car goes into limp mode in an attempt to preserve itself.

If the problem reoccurs, you'll need to have the CVT checked at the dealer. It's possible it's fluid foamed up and flushed, in wich case it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nop i was driving alone , i havent tow any thing. when i check the transmission fluid its smell like burn oil....im scared

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
nop i was driving alone , i havent tow any thing. when i check the transmission fluid its smell like burn oil....im scared
Before you get any funny ideas, read this post.

I'd add that the CVT fluid is green when you poor it in but naturally turns brown even with light usage. As for the smell, I have no cue for you. I think t's best you have it checked.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Are you sure you're checking the transmission fluid? The Caliber doesn't come with a dipstick for the transmission, so how do you know it smells burnt?

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Brad is right. The CVT fluid requires a special tool and process that only the dealer has. Take it to them and have it checked out. You don't want it quitting on you out in the middle of nowhere. It could be a long walk back home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I own a Dodge Caliber SE 2007 with CVT(23K Miles) yesterday the transmission overheating light coming on. and when i acelerate the car dont run. I had to get the transmission cold to run again. Do anyone know why happen this ? Thaks
hello I had problem its transmission, with these types IRS better to a little under filled than over filled. An over fill will cause bubbles in trans coolant line and will shut down in limp mode.have a mech that's able to work on these transmissions even if it takes 5 hrs like mine filling and unfilling to determine the proper levels. When it's dead on or just hair under trust me problem will go away. Since then car can go 90 plus mo more overheat. Best of luck

·
Super Moderator
12,256 Posts
You can, with the transmission at ambient temperature and engine not running, use the engine dipstick to check the fluid level. Just clean the dipstick well before using it. Remove the air intake/battery cover to access the CVT dipstick tube. Fluid level is good if it falls within the "safe zone" markings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can, with the transmission at ambient temperature and engine not running, use the engine dipstick to check the fluid level. Just clean the dipstick well before using it. Remove the air intake/battery cover to access the CVT dipstick tube. Fluid level is good if it falls within the "safe zone" markings.
Where is the air intake battery cover locates thats a good idea. I really think i need. Tranamission fluid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts