Dodge Caliber Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The codes was P000A & P000B. That's all that came up as I posted on the other post. I checked all wires under the dash from what I can tell, they are fine.
I don't know where the other parts are under the hood that I have to check (Im female, say's enough right) l.o.l.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
The codes was P000A & P000B. That's all that came up as I posted on the other post. I checked all wires under the dash from what I can tell, they are fine.
I don't know where the other parts are under the hood that I have to check (Im female, say's enough right) l.o.l.
Neither of the codes have to do with the transmission. They refer to Camshaft Position sensors 1 and 2 being bad on the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Neither of the codes have to do with the transmission. They refer to Camshaft Position sensors 1 and 2 being bad on the engine.

Could it have anything to do with why my car is at an idle (in drive) at a light and starts shaking/vibrating. It runs smooth in all other gears.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Could it have anything to do with why my car is at an idle (in drive) at a light and starts shaking/vibrating. It runs smooth in all other gears.
Probably. Without those sensors working properly; the computer can't properly make the necessary changes in engine control to make the engine work properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, thanks Prop1 :).. Ha! I like your avitar :).
That's me right now! really stressed out, trying to figure out this car without taking it to a dealer ship

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Ok, thanks Prop1 :).. Ha! I like your avitar :).
That's me right now! really stressed out, trying to figure out this car without taking it to a dealer ship
With it out of warranty; I wouldn't waste my time or money with the dealer. A good reputable repair shop would be the better choice. At this point unless you have experience repairing cars; you are at the point where a mechanic is needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im just wanting to try anything "easy" first.
I never do anything I feel is to much.

Im pretty smart if I have instructions, just can't find instructions with pictures l.o.l.

I looked up the dash board, the only odd thing is I see oil or something on the gas peddle but on the grey tub thingy. It's more like a round tub, with flexibilty but the oil or w/e looks yellowish and I can't tell the smell (if any)

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Yellowish with strange smell is most likely
CVT tranny fluid hence a leak.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Can you post a picture of the area where the leak is.

Transmission fluid leaks would be seen in the engine compartment or under the car more or lees on the driver's side.

Yes - CVT fluid is a clear liquid, with a yellowish tinge to it. Hard to describe the smell to someone who has not smelled it before, but it smells like "severe duty" synthetic gear or hydraulic oil.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Don't forget that the coolant in these cars is ORANGE.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I have always thought the smell of coolant
was distinctive,smell the fluid in the bottle
under the hood to see if it is comparative.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HELP!!
Can you tell me what ended up being the solution to that transmission issue? Mine just started doing the exact same thing yours was. Also what did i cost you to fix it?

I appreciate your quick reply!

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
HELP!!
Can you tell me what ended up being the solution to that transmission issue? Mine just started doing the exact same thing yours was. Also what did i cost you to fix it?

The solution has and probably always will be one of 4 things:

• low fluid
  • damaged wires at the transmission
  • bad transmission cooler
  • bad transmission (need for replacement)
Depending on what is wrong and who does the repairs; you are looking at $300-$4500.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
HELP!!

A couple more to add to Brad's list:

Loose electrical plug on the TCM (located in driver's side footwell)
Damaged wires in this area.
Defective TCM (transmission control module)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, new member here.

I got my Caliber recently with 82k miles on it and this happened to me as well. I'm out here in AZ and I took it to the Dodge dealer nearby and the tech guys told me that this is really an issue on these cars. He said the best I could do is change the tranny fluid, get an aftermarket cooler (which they admitted they are not sure would help much) for an estimated cost of 300-$400, or trade in my car for a different one. It's just not suited for the summer heat in this part of the country. :(

But since I just got my Caliber 2 months ago, I'm still not done on the payments so I can't trade it in yet. The dealer I bought it from confirmed that they changed all the fluids in the car before they sold it, too. So I guess I'm stuck with this one for a few more months. I'm definitely trading mine, though, in about ten more months.

It's too bad, too, 'cause I really like my Caliber. But if this car can't stand the desert heat, well what can I do? :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2009 Caliber (SXT) has the same issues. I did buy it used in 2012 with 38K on it. About a year after having it, I was making a long drive up 395 through the desert, in September. About 2 hours into my drive, the sensor came on and the car made this terrible 'whining' noise, just before it dropped down to 15mph and would not let me accelerate any faster. Similar to the other posts, I had to sit there in 90 degree heat and let it "rest" for about 20 min. I headed back on the road, and about 45 min into my drive it did it again... and 2 more times before I made it to my destination. Took it to a good mechanic near my house. I refuse to take it to the dealer, what a rip off! Anyways, they did try to get a read on the codes that were coming up, but they couldn't determine exactly what it was. There were a few other issues with the car, such as some of the wiring and other electrical issues. The car was perfectly fine, I typically don't drive more than 30 miles a day, so I'm sure that helps. About 2 weeks ago, it started making this loud squeaking. Every time I accelerated from an idle or from really low speeds, there was a hesitation (I guess that's what we can call it) just before it shifts into gear. Took it into my dad's mechanic yesterday, who is very reputable and trusted. The initial problem was the alternator, it pretty much took a dump, which I know is not uncommon for these cars. They also stated that there was a PCM issue and that Dodge issued a recall stating that the circuit board may have broken, which can cause the engine to stall without warning. Not sure if this might be part of the overall problem, since it is an electrical issue. Unfortunately without them replacing the alternator, they can't get an accurate read. Alternator is being replaced today, so hopefully I'll get some more info on this transmission overheat sensor. Looks like I'm not alone here either. Where is the recall for this faulty transmission issue Dodge?! I'll post an update once I get more info...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, new member here.

I got my Caliber recently with 82k miles on it and this happened to me as well. I'm out here in AZ and I took it to the Dodge dealer nearby and the tech guys told me that this is really an issue on these cars. He said the best I could do is change the tranny fluid, get an aftermarket cooler (which they admitted they are not sure would help much) for an estimated cost of 300-$400, or trade in my car for a different one. It's just not suited for the summer heat in this part of the country. :(

But since I just got my Caliber 2 months ago, I'm still not done on the payments so I can't trade it in yet. The dealer I bought it from confirmed that they changed all the fluids in the car before they sold it, too. So I guess I'm stuck with this one for a few more months. I'm definitely trading mine, though, in about ten more months.

It's too bad, too, 'cause I really like my Caliber. But if this car can't stand the desert heat, well what can I do? :(

Sorry to hear that lmonterroyo. You should definitely take a look at my post (below). But seriously, if I didn't have another 2 years of payments, I would've just traded it in. I'm just trying to fix it for the time being. And also, if you are able to trade it for a different car, read the specs first to be sure that it does not have a CVT transmission. Nissan, Dodge, Ford models (various) also have issues with the CVT Transmission. Soooo, I'm thinking the only way to avoid anymore headaches and empty pockets, stay away from the CVT's (aka golf cart tranny).

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Sorry to hear that lmonterroyo. You should definitely take a look at my post (below). But seriously, if I didn't have another 2 years of payments, I would've just traded it in. I'm just trying to fix it for the time being. And also, if you are able to trade it for a different car, read the specs first to be sure that it does not have a CVT transmission. Nissan, Dodge, Ford models (various) also have issues with the CVT Transmission. Soooo, I'm thinking the only way to avoid anymore headaches and empty pockets, stay away from the CVT's (aka golf cart tranny).
Actually, the CVT is pretty reliable as transmissions go. The problem is that they are made by JATCO. They make most of the transmissions sold around the world. Having had a failing JATCO in a Land Rover, and followed that with a failing JATCO CVT in my Caliber; I blame JATCO, not the type of transmission.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts