Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone feel like their transmission is dragging on lower gears, almost as if the brakes are being applied ever so slightly? Kind of like the transmission downshifted prematurely.:smiledown:

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Does anyone feel like their transmission is dragging on lower gears, almost as if the brakes are being applied ever so slightly? Kind of like the transmission downshifted prematurely.:smiledown:
If you're talking the CVT; that is normal. There are no "gears" with a CVT. The "V" stands for "Variable". But when you are coasting to a stop; 2 things happen. The first is the injectors are disabled until the torque converter un-locks below 20mph. So both of those will cause drag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would appear that the drag at times feels more than normal. I wonder if they are other Caliber owners who have had this same feeling. It isn't really a mechnical problem per se. It is just that the car slows down more quickly than any other car I have ever driven as soon as I let go of the gas. Also the mileage isn't great. I was expecting at least 10L/100km but it looks like I am getting around 12L/100km. Again not so bad but does leave some desire for improvement on the fuel efficency side of things.

:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
How many miles, when was your last tune up and what kind of terrain do you drive on? Lots of variables to take into consideration.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The quick slowdown is a characteristic of the CVT tranny
and is notable in the Caliber but completely normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts