Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here ya go. I used the Dodge one (I got off ebay for $48) but it seems all youll need should be in the same spots for most other harness. I also think that the power is there too no need to go up front. I didnt measure it but there is a red/blue wire behind the drivers tail light that seems like its the added power wire everyone goes to the front for. AGAIN I DID NOT TEST IT SO DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!

Continued on next post due to too many pictures per post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Many thanks for the expert fiiting guide, I believe in Oz you can only get the harness if you purchase hitch [tow bar in oz] as well cost? in excess of $750.00 aud. I had hitch fitted for $350 and as I electrician thought fitting harness OK but confused with the need for relays etc. I thought using LED lamps would save any probs. Maybe I order harness ex USA approx $130.00USD Once again many thanks for info Regards swampy

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Attention Mods this should be in knowledge base as sticky,
again another great bit of help by dcjredline.
Rep points for this one!!!

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Attention Mods this should be in knowledge base as sticky,
again another great bit of help by dcjredline.
Rep points for this one!!!
This info has been here for months, and there is less than 1 page of threads. There's no advantage in it being a sticky, all it would do is keep a thread from being buried.;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
dcjredline, thanks for info. Have you any idea of the purpose of the relays? Would it be possible to connect straight to light wiring? Regards swampy

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
dcjredline, thanks for info. Have you any idea of the purpose of the relays? Would it be possible to connect straight to light wiring? Regards swampy
The reason for the relays is because of the TIPM and the Can Bus. Direct wiring would increase current flow causing the TIPM through the Can Bus to turn off the power to the tail lights. You would then need the power turned back on by the dealer.

EDIT: It been determined that if you trip the TIPM, you can disconnect the battery for an hour to reset it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just have to add that I would recommend he T-one connector you can get from Rigid Hitch. THis make installation easy and I have always had good luck with mine.

dc, how long did this take you out of curiosity?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I just have to add that I would recommend he T-one connector you can get from Rigid Hitch. THis make installation easy and I have always had good luck with mine.

dc, how long did this take you out of curiosity?
I was just looking at the T-One connectors on the Drawtite.com website. The have them for $57 in a clam shell. I'll drive out to DjReds and have him install it for me hahahaha

·
Registered
2 Posts
08 wiring differant

I bought a used hitch and wiring harness from ebay and it arrived last night.

The hitch went on very easy and with the directions found here, there were no surprises. 15 min. tops

The wiring harness was the proper dodge part for a 2007 us model. Mine is a 2008 Canadian sxt. The harness had an extra plug and socket (a tan colored one) on the left hand side with 2 wires in it (extra plugs never good). The right side had a slightly different plug on the brake/tail light - an extra tag on the connector.( I will provide pics of all this soon) With a quick mod to the brake/tail light connector, it went together. Everything worked EXCEPT no tail light on the right side. A quick inspection saw that there is only 2 wires going to the tail/brake light plug from the new wiring harness. I changed the plugs and wires to add the third wire to the brake/tail light plug and everything is working fine. The connectors do come apart but u must be very careful. This procedure took approx 3 hours, and I am an experienced electronics technologist.

I did not figure out what the extra plug was for or why there was only 2 wires going to the right hand brake/tail light.

Just wanted to make everyone aware. I will post pics as promised...at 11pm last night in below freezing temps all I wanted was the car back together.

Craig

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
caliberseforme: Well I am not a good gauge for others to go off of for install as I am a certified Mobile Electronics installer and I have every tool that would be needed in my garage and over 15 years experiance BUT with the picture taking and what not that might give others the chance to do it in the same time frame.

Took me about 35-45 min all together.

FeistyOne: Come on out! I would do it for you NO PROBLEM. I'll order the pizza and you get your purse out for the delivery guy. :) I would love to. I built my garage to WORK ON CARS and anytime I get to do it I am glad to. Makes all my sweat building it pay off.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Im always NICE. To nice. Thats my problem most of the time. My friend Mike decided we needed to go play pool and with that is drinks. I had 2 smirnoffs. We left. He drove. He said Im to drunk to drive. HAHA I said what? he claims I had bumped into him a few times in the street and in the bar. I know I had to much. Im not a drinker so normally Im good with just HALF a smirnoff. Damn us lightweights. HAHA We pull into the fast trac gas station where my neighbor kid works to get some hot dogs. WOW! I walk in and this is what happens..

Me: JAKE! We need some wieners!

Mike: Oh Man. Jake theres no wieners on the grill here?!

Jake: Nope.

Meanwhile a lady is at the counter doing scratch offs..

Mike: Go find something else to eat, I will find fluid (drinks)

Me: I just want some of these choc grandma cookies!

Mike: Wheres the kegs?

Me: OMG! I Found it!

Me: I FOUND THE MEAT STICK!!

Mike: What? Put that down before you hurt someone with that thing!

Lady at counter starts laughing and leaves a few min later.

Taxi guy walks in and breaks Jakes balls. Then wanders to the rest rooms/privy

Jake: I dare Sandie to go give the taxi guy a hug when he comes out.

Mike: ok thats innocent enough.

Me: OK! A DARE! (i giggle A LOT when Ive been drinking so Im pretty giggly in there with every thing said)

Taxi guy comes out of potty with cell phone in hand and in conversation.

Me: THERE YOU ARE! I've MISSED YOU! (running over and hugging the taxi driver)

Taxi guy.. silent. looks at jake and says. you were behind that one. I know you were.

Mike and I leave and Im still giggly and want to go back in for the meat stick. (summer sausage was marked down to $2.50) Mike said no we are going home now.

Me: can I moon someone then?

Mike: NO! Get in the car.

Me: But it would be funny!! Cmon. We both can do it!

We didnt moon anyone. we went home and I was stuck with my choc cookie and he had chips and a heineke, which i think is still in my fridge. I hate beer so it will stay there til he drinks it, which will probably be tomorrow night. I really dont think I really would of mooned anyone. It was just funny thoughts comin out of my mouth. I just say whatever I think. ...and talk alot more!!!! Be glad I didnt hop on the forum after!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just read this, hit a deer with my r/t and had to replace main wiring harness under the hood (fuse box tipm modgule and wiring to all lights ect. Had car back for 3 days went to start nothing. Under the o/d it said ( no bus) phoned dealer they said it is unrelated. By the way they installed the wiring harness. Prop1 please reply.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Just read this, hit a deer with my r/t and had to replace main wiring harness under the hood (fuse box tipm modgule and wiring to all lights ect. Had car back for 3 days went to start nothing. Under the o/d it said ( no bus) phoned dealer they said it is unrelated. By the way they installed the wiring harness. Prop1 please reply.
Read this thread: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=25004

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dodge has changed this wiring harness for the trailer. you dont need to take out tail lights or anything now. you still cut a hole in the trunk to run the wiring down, but then you just run the wire to front of the car and it plugs into the fuse box. no splicing. plug and play. 30 min. if you got a lift.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts