Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got this 07 SXT, and its shows dashes for the right rear tire position. I just figured the transponder was bad and since the tires are in good shape, I would live with it till I get the tires replaced. So the other day I rotated the tires front to back and vice versa, and then took a short road trip, about 40 miles highway, and noticed that the right rear still shows dashes. I have read the posts on here and thought that the car learns the transponders new position, which I thought that the dashes would move to the front right. Any info or help greatly appreciated in advance. Also if possible is there any Dodge Chrysler technicians hear your answers would be greatly appreciated I would really like factual information instead of speculation

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
Your understanding is the same as mine. Another thing you could try is remove that wheel and store it away from the vehicle for a day, then disconnect the battery for an hour or two.
See what happens when it all resets.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rotating tire would do nothing to change what the ID is of the sensor.

If I move Steve from the driver's seat, to the back seat, his name is still Steve.

The problem is with the sensor.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The car cannot relearn the tire's position by itself...that kind of information is programmed into the car's computer with a TPMS programming tool. It's a handheld tool that, when placed adjacent to the TPMS sensor in a tire, can tell the car which tire that sensor equates to.

Like others said, you have a faulty TPMS sensor. Once you replace the sensor the car may or may not relearn the new sensor's ID code and assign it to be your right rear tire. If it doesn't then it needs to be programmed with the aformentioned TPMS programmer.

In Calibers that only have the single TPMS idiot light (like mine), the car is smart enough to recognize when new sensors are in use and can relearn them itself, but that's only because it doesn't need to know which tire each sensor is installed in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rotating tire would do nothing to change what the ID is of the sensor.

If I move Steve from the driver's seat, to the back seat, his name is still Steve.

The problem is with the sensor.
The car cannot relearn the tire's position by itself...that kind of information is programmed into the car's computer with a TPMS programming tool. It's a handheld tool that, when placed adjacent to the TPMS sensor in a tire, can tell the car which tire that sensor equates to.

Like others said, you have a faulty TPMS sensor. Once you replace the sensor the car may or may not relearn the new sensor's ID code and assign it to be your right rear tire. If it doesn't then it needs to be programmed with the aformentioned TPMS programmer.

In Calibers that only have the single TPMS idiot light (like mine), the car is smart enough to recognize when new sensors are in use and can relearn them itself, but that's only because it doesn't need to know which tire each sensor is installed in.
Thank you very much chrisf2012 for an informative answer.

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
Since you have the Premium TPMS system you also have three wheel well trigger sensors to read the TPMS position.
From your user manual "The vehicle may need to be driven for up to 10 minutes above 15 mph (25 km/h) to receive this information."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts