Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber 1.8L 5spd with the mopar hitch installed (the one with the 90 degree angle bracket)

I used the hitch a few times to tow a few small utility trailers, etc.

When I moved last year I towed a 5'x9' trailer about 40 miles that weighed a total of just over 3000lbs (quite a bit over the maximum weight) The car handled fine (breaking, turning etc) It was mostly highway and I was able to maintain 60 in 5th on flat terrain.

Recently my 1983 Starion (2700lbs) threw a rod. I need to move it about 40 miles from my house to the storage unit where it will sit until the V8 engine is finished.

I have a car trailer available to me (weighs about 2200lbs) putting the total trailer weight at around 5000lbs.

I understand the extreme wear and tear it will put on the engine and transmission and the fact I probably wont be able to move at highway speeds.

However, my question is will the hitch (rated 1500lbs) angle bracket (rated 2000lbs) and 2" ball (rated 3000lbs) not be able to pull the weight and break?

This is a one time move about 40 miles until the engine goes in.

Otherwise I'll have to pay a tow truck to tow it 40 miles for me.

That or push the car as far from the house I can and see if I can get AAA to pay for the tow.

Thoughts? Other than "remind me to never buy a car that you have owned"

** Edited for typos **

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Once you exceed any load rating - you are on your own. If any part of the sysem fails and someone gets hurt or killed, its on you.
My advice - please stay within published ratings for all part of the system.
The car itself is only rated to handle 1500 lb. trailers with the "heavy duty" towing package, 1000 lb max with the standard setup.
Best bet - bite the bullet and hire a rollback to transport the other car.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Not just because of the load ratings you listed, but because of the safety factor involved for the public if something breaks loose. Sorry, but that is just my opinion. I have the same Mopar hitch as you and a 5x10 tilt trailer and there is no way that I would exceed the weight limits with it. I'm not sure you wouldn't burn the clutch out in your Caliber either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Once you exceed any load rating - you are on your own. If any part of the sysem fails and someone gets hurt or killed, its on you.
Even if you don't exceed the limit you are on your own. Yes if something happens a lawsuit might be larger and most likely to lose if something happens above the recommended limit.

It's basically the same thing as going over the speed limit, the more liable you are for anything that happens.

1600lbs on a 1500lb rating? Probably not to bad.
60mph in a 55mph? Also probably not so bad.
5000lbs on a 1500lb rating? Yeah, probably not a good idea to do often.
150mph in a 55mph? Also not a good idea to be doing that often.

So of course if i posted and asked if anyone would think it would be bad for my car to drive 150mph, I would expect a response saying I'm on my own.

** Edit **

The math ratios aren't exact I know it would be 183 1/3 mph in a 55mph

and yes, I know the Cali's can't do 150 :p Maybe an SRT4. We had my buddies Stage 3 04 N-SRT4 up to 155 a few times.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Rent a U-haul truck for the day ($19.95) and pull the trailer with that. Lots cheaper than the damage that can occur using the Caliber.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Whatever.

I design machinery for a living, and am well aware of "litigation" even on well designed equipment that was verified as safe by several nationally recognized testing labs.

The problem comes in when you knowingly go beyond published limits for various components - legally, it goes to a whole different and more serious level (sometimes even criminal).

Side note- an article I read discussed the ramifications of speeding at over 100MPH. In a lot of states - that is a whole 'nuther level too (way more trouble than just a ticket)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts