Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like many of us, my driver side low beam is out, high beams work, my TIPM is crapping out on me and I don't want spend the $900 to replace it. My mechanic, a trustworthy one, informs me that the TIPM is corroded and needs to be replaced. So resetting it or flashing won't do a thing at this point.

My questions is, has anyone ever replaced one? If so, any tips on how to proceed?

Also, I'm open to doing a workaround. Currently, I'm considering wiring the headlights directly to the battery or dimming the high beams and driving with those on.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Like many of us, my driver side low beam is out, high beams work, my TIPM is crapping out on me and I don't want spend the $900 to replacement it. My mechanic, a trustworthy one, informs me that the TIPM is corroded and needs to be replaced. So resetting it or flashing won't do a thing at this point.

My questions is, has anyone ever replaced one? If so, any tips on how to proceed?

Also, I'm open to doing a workaround. Currently, I'm considering wiring the headlights directly to the battery or dimming the high beams and driving with those on.
Quick fix would be to use the right low beam power to turn a relay off/on that powers both left and right low beams thru a fuse from the battery. You'd be out around $15. This post of mine from the Knowledge Base shows what you need. The difference is that you won't be hooking to HIDs: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showpost.php?p=126620&postcount=1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thank you Brad. I appreciate your time. I couldn't find that thread, so my apologies for repeating.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick fix would be to use the right low beam power to turn a relay off/on that powers both left and right low beams thru a fuse from the battery. You'd be out around $15. This post of mine from the Knowledge Base shows what you need. The difference is that you won't be hooking to HIDs: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showpost.php?p=126620&postcount=1
Sorry, I'm new to wiring. So I'm to cut the power to my bad headlight and wire it to my good head light's power?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Does this look correct?
No. Follow my drawing. The power for the bad headlight and good headlight comes through a fuse connected directly to the battery via the relay switching contacts. No other fuses are needed. Both headlights will then be fed from the same output from the relay. The feed to the good headlight is used only as the control feed to the relay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. My last question, in the diagram, would the "To HID allast" be the bad head light in my case? I'm just trying to establish a workflow and to understand the logic, I'm still a little lost.

Thanks again.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Thanks for the info. My last question, in the diagram, would the "To HID allast" be the bad head light in my case? I'm just trying to establish a workflow and to understand the logic, I'm still a little lost.

Thanks again.
It's "To HID Ballast". It's become obvious that you have not done much electrical as I first thought. So let me make it as clear as I can.

Think of a relay as a wall switch in your house. You flipping the switch on is like the control voltage to a relay. The action of flipping the light on forces 2 contacts to come together completing a circuit, and the result is the light coming on.

Now, think of a relay circuit as 2 circuits. The first one suppliers the control power to close the contacts. That power in this case is rerouted power from the feed to the good head light. Don't forget to ground the other side of the control connection on the relay to the chassis.

Because you are rerouting the power to the good light to the relay you won't be able to power the good head light with that power anymore. The resistance change will freakout the TIPM. Both head lights will now have to be powered from the battery.

This leads to circuit 2. Connect a water proof fuse holder (like the one in the linked post) to the positive of the battery. The output of the fuse will then go to one side of the relay contact. The output of the other side of the relay contact will then go to both head lights. Make sure the relay is rated for at least 50 amps. The fuse will likely need to be 20-30 amps. All wire should be 12 gauge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's "To HID Ballast". It's become obvious that you have not done much electrical as I first thought. So let me make it as clear as I can.

Think of a relay as a wall switch in your house. You flipping the switch on is like the control voltage to a relay. The action of flipping the light on forces 2 contacts to come together completing a circuit, and the result is the light coming on.

Now, think of a relay circuit as 2 circuits. The first one suppliers the control power to close the contacts. That power in this case is rerouted power from the feed to the good head light. Don't forget to ground the other side of the control connection on the relay to the chassis.

Because you are rerouting the power to the good light to the relay you won't be able to power the good head light with that power anymore. The resistance change will freakout the TIPM. Both head lights will now have to be powered from the battery.

This leads to circuit 2. Connect a water proof fuse holder (like the one in the linked post) to the positive of the battery. The output of the fuse will then go to one side of the relay contact. The output of the other side of the relay contact will then go to both head lights. Make sure the relay is rated for at least 50 amps. The fuse will likely need to be 20-30 amps. All wire should be 12 gauge.
The first clue that I'm new to wiring:

Sorry, I'm new to wiring. So I'm to cut the power to my bad headlight and wire it to my good head light's power?
I really appreciate the help. Thanks Brad.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I hope that simplified explanation was understandable. You should probably try to get some help when doing all this from someone that has some electrical knowledge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts