Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

This is a follow up in a way to my previous post about the TIPM and repairs directly to the circuit boards that comprise the fuse block and computer. Here is the first post link: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=38495&highlight=TIPM

So the wife's car was acting up again, loosing systems intermitantly, I see many other people are having the same problem. All stem from C8 connection(in this case) on the TIPM, radio, rear defog, windows, etc, and will display the "no fuse" warning. Hit a bump and they all work again, no codes and by the time you get to the dealer it is all working so they can't see anything on their computer, or they just won't tell you.
I fixed all the harness issues previously so bad wiring was ruled out, the fuses checked out, put jumpers in affected circuits, still "no fuse" and systems lost.
That tells me the comp sees everything as fine but thinks fuse is blown, this car has multiple points that check circuits, one is the cluster, if the TIPM supplies power and cluster can't see it, throws the "no fuse". So I figure at 200,000 KMs this car doesn't owe us anything, if i did irrepairable damage to the TIPM were were going to deal it in "as is" for a new Charger.
I retensioned all connectors on C8, which worked but some would not hold the tension, and still displayed "no fuse". The connectors would not really hold the tension, they sell a new connector but at at 9 PM at night, it was not an option.
So I pulled the fuses and cover off the top of the TIPM, I opened it up fully prepared to hard wire the affected circuits to any hot with ign/acc on circuit I could find, but after a bit of probing I realized the board was supplying power, but the pin outs did not receive it. I could kill or engage any system on the C8 by applying pressure to the pins, or by bridging the connection from circuit board to pin outs. I can fix that!! So I removed the conformal coating with a brass bristle brush(toothbrush size) came off easily, and reflowed the conectors with some Kester 951 and my finest silver solder. I then figured may as well loose the connector, so direct soldered all wires to the pin outs and fed the wires back through the locking connector, bit of rtv to seal where the wires leave the connector.
Works perfect, can hit it with a hammer and connections are not lost, yank on the wiring harness, still good, more important, wife is not nagging me or driving my car anymore!!! When this stuff happens, it is hard to trust your car, especially if you drive around all day in it.
Very easy repair, but unless you are comfortable reflowing circuit boards and the fact that you could roast the TIPM, proceed with caution.
This may explain many gremlins that people are having, dodge dealer and garages we have brought it to missed many things and this was diagnosed as a TIPM replacement issue and bad wires.
Love to help anyone that is experiencing some problems, send me a PM or ask a question in this thread, maybe we should start a diagnosis section.
I have pics that I will post after work
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention, I have the service manual that I downloaded from the sticky on the first page - the pin outs in the wiring section were not accurate, my car is different, so if you do some splicing or soldering, transfer wires from connector, do not rely on pin out or schematics, they may not reflect the final build on your vehicle. That service manual is great btw, whoever posted it deserves a big round of applause, would be in the poor house without that.
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
That's great to hear, man. You must be very patient and really love your Caliber to do all of that testing and repair. I don't think I'd have the patience, nor skill with a soldering iron to do all of that!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Pics

Hi everyone
here are the pics, thought I took more. Don't 300 C rims look good on a cali?
these are pretty high res, so you can zoom in and see the conformal coating gone and the pins reflowed, i outlined C8 in red, shows its location. another problem you may encounter is that the fuse holder pins will loose their tension and although the fuse seems locked in, it can actually not make contact, zoom into see the gap. when the cover is on you would never notice, as they center the fuse even with only 1 side making contact. They could have spent another few cents and got some longer pins, 2 mm longer and the solder would bridge much better. look at all the pretty new wires from a previous rewire of the harness from TIPM to accessories, low oxygen copper, nice, silicone sleeves, nice, no particular color code, nice - good luck to the next guy who needs to trace the harness!! but it will outlive the car. my car is done in black and white wiring everywhere all nice and neat, this is my wifes car so i didn't bother cleaning up flux residue, (not mine, from original build). lots of slack so TIPM can come in and out without any issues, works perfect now, off to the dealer soon for a Charger!!

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Reps for the photos and a job well done!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone
sorry I usually have a window of a few hours in the middle of the night to fix this car, used every day and if it is off the road, she uses my car and I am stuck. I promise I will take more pics of work when i do it, wifes comes out and freaks out when I have the inards of her car apart, says its not meant to be taken apart, but if it was built it can be taken apart and she doesn't complain when I fix her portable ultrasound machine or med pumps or broken company ipad.
I will eventually input the TIPM into my simulator and really figure out how it works, even find the reset for the annoying system shut downs this thing does all the time to everyone.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
You figure all of that out and you'll become a legend here!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually found reset sequence for chip, BUT, haven't tried it, may rent a caliber and see what it does hahahaha!

·
Registered
6 Posts
How do you reset the chip.. i intermittently have headlights.. wipers.. and turn signals... but never for more than about a minute ...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Disconnect both battery cables clean them and hold them together for 10 minutes.
Clean battery posts and reconnect.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Incredible!

Wish I was comfortable enough to tear in that stupid piece of garbage that is the TIPM in my car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wiring connectors

This looks like the best place to pose a question regarding the wiring harness at the TIPM. I have had headlight problems in the past (driver side) that I 'fixed' by connecting the two low beam wires together. It seems the power running to both lights through the one connections was to hot and has now melted the connector. I am trying to locate a new wiring harness for my car but am finding way to many option packages to decipher. Do I need to find a wiring harness specific to my car? I have had to relocate the relays as well due to corrosion and lack of availability of single terminals. I think it would be best for me to replace the bad part of the wiring rather than the whole harness entirely redoing the engine compartment on a 200000 mile car.

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
This looks like the best place to pose a question regarding the wiring harness at the TIPM. I have had headlight problems in the past (driver side) that I 'fixed' by connecting the two low beam wires together. It seems the power running to both lights through the one connections was to hot and has now melted the connector. I am trying to locate a new wiring harness for my car but am finding way to many option packages to decipher. Do I need to find a wiring harness specific to my car? I have had to relocate the relays as well due to corrosion and lack of availability of single terminals. I think it would be best for me to replace the bad part of the wiring rather than the whole harness entirely redoing the engine compartment on a 200000 mile car.
best for me to replace the bad part of the wiring

Is the way I'd go, also look for lower power LED bulbs, higher gauge by pass wiring, separate relays.

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
The TIPM shuts down circuits with a fault condition. After fixing it can be reset by powering down.

This vid about diagnosing a TIPM is clear ( but does not show a reset attempt )

Chrysler LIGHTING PROBLEMS Dodge Caliber

1 - 15 of 15 Posts