Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Nightshades paint from Modern Performance earlier this month and did a quick and easy mod.

Removing the tails is quite easy; just open the back hatch, take out the two plugs holding the taillights in the jam, carefully struggle to pull the damn thing out from the two pressure plugs (or whatever they're called) that hold the light on the outboard side (don't pull too hard, or when it comes loose, you'll yank out the wiring - the wires are about 8" long), untwist the light plugs and their free. Next I wiped down the lights, quickly, with alcohol to insure there are no oils that would mess with paint adhesion. After I was already done painting, I thought that maybe I should have taken 200+ grit sandpaper and lightly scuffed them also, to insure the paint sticks. But, too late and it still looks good. We’ll see how they hold up over the months/years.

Then I taped over the clear backup light area to keep it from getting too dark. This is after one coat:

I let it sit for 15 minute in front of a space heater to speed drying and removed the tape:

I then shot a second coat over all of it to get it to the darker shade I wanted. A third coat would have been way too dark. I then let them dry in front of the heater for another hour while I was installing the blacked out headlights that I had also ordered. I only used about half a can for both lights.

This is the finished product, installed, next to my wife’s stock tails:

I like it much better ... she doesn't. :cool:, one less mod to do on hers. :smileup:

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
dnarud13, you did a great job, i like what you have done myself,
great description and pics too, reps when i can..:smileup:

Reactions: 99GAZI

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
looks great...nice work

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
Oops, I thought I was in the Ext. Mods section. Could a moderator move it?
Done!! Great job!! I like it, but I'm leary if it would look good on my Caliber.

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Great job dnarud13 ! I like them :rep:

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Very nice job!!! I also don't think it would look very good on a silver Caliber. Reps for a good job!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Need advise on tail lights

that's a great looking mod...nice job !

hey guys....maybe someone can help....i've got an 09 sxt and i'd like to do that....but i'm not sure if i want to get the VHT paint for $25 plus shipping and have to do the painting myself...or pay $105 (shipping included) for the these i found on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290295305698

they look sweet....more of a projector look i think....but apparently they only fit 06-07 and the seller says they wont fit an 09 :(

but then i found some others that say they fit 06-07 and 08 ?? they cost a little more ($160) and look more stock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140303645514

so can anyone tell me if 08 and 09 have the same tail light set-up ?...maybe the wiring is different ?...and if they ARE the same then wouldn't the 1 st set i looked at also fit an 08 AND 09, since they fit 06 and 07 as well ??

it's all sooooo confusing !! :doh:....any help would be appreciated !

thx !

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The '06 & '07 are different from the '08 (idk about '09). The earlier ones have 3 plugs, whereas the '08 has two plugs. A couple of our members made the earlier ones fit on their '08 by finding another plug that fits and splicing it in.

·
Registered
401 Posts
there was some wiring changes.. i think they removed a bulb or something too.

doh dnarud13 beat me.. guess i should look at the page count next time =p

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Late reply, but at least I know now how dark I want to go for my tails.
Did you clear them or just leave them at the two coats and thats it.

My car is now going red and black, and tail lights is a easy mod, beside changing everything to led bulbs.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Great mod dnarud13. Thats looks and sounds simple enough to do.

Your cally looks much better than the missus. You know what women are, always wanna leave cars as bought.

Reps when i can man

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the rep, guys!

Cory, I just did the two coats of VHT. Some clear over the top might not be a bad idea, though; maybe it would gloss it up a little more. Do the VHT and see how you like it, you can always add clear.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Thanks dude.

I know alot of people say in person the VHT seems to be a bit of a dull finish.
Especially since I'll be doing it with the red I think if its a dull, clear coat to give it a bit of gloss would look better but I'll see when I get money, and order my led bulbs.

·
Registered
483 Posts
A little late in the game... but I love it! A lot more than the stock. One Q is can people see you braking as easily? I would hate to get rearended because some idiot cannot tell I am hitting the brakes. :doh: I also like your new headlights too!

:Racing:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Ussually its super easy to see the lights, depending on how dark you go. If you go blackout during the day it tends to be hard, but night is good, but not as bright as if they wernt tinted

·
Registered
724 Posts
it looks nice. i usually don't like things done to the lights... i may have to think about this.....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts