Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
The primary thermostat starts to open at 77° C (171° F) and is fully open at 89° C (193° F).

The SRT4 does not have a secondary thermostat.

The secondary thermostat (engine block) on the regular non-SRT4 Caliber starts to open at 95° C (203°F) and is fully open at 108° C (226° F).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The primary thermostat starts to open at 77° C (171° F) and is fully open at 89° C (193° F).

The SRT4 does not have a secondary thermostat.

The secondary thermostat (engine block) on the regular non-SRT4 Caliber starts to open at 95° C (203°F) and is fully open at 108° C (226° F).
Thanks again for the answer, it's nice that there is a person like you here;) I ask about it because there are two places for thermostats in thermostat housing.
And the reason for replacing the thermostats is that the tip of the coolant temperature fluctuates between 75 and 90, it is not that it stands at, for example, 90. Or is it normal in this engine?

·
Registered
339 Posts
...there are two places for thermostats in thermostat housing.
The SRT-4 uses a restrictor plate in the position of the secondary thermostat. You can see it as the silver metal plate with a hole in the middle where the secondary thermostat would normally go in the attached picture.

the coolant temperature fluctuates between 75 and 90...
It makes some sense that the coolant would hit 90c and then cool down, 90C is when the primary thermostat is fully open and it is fully closed at 77C.

If your fluctuation between 70 and 90 is indeed a problem, and I'm not sure that it is, the problem is not likely caused by a bad thermostat because these thermostats normally fail closed.

If you don't have any other problems or trouble codes with the car, I would not bother replacing the thermostats.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The SRT-4 uses a restrictor plate in the position of the secondary thermostat. You can see it as the silver metal plate with a hole in the middle where the secondary thermostat would normally go in the attached picture.

It makes some sense that the coolant would hit 90c and then cool down, 90C is when the primary thermostat is fully open and it is fully closed at 77C.

If your fluctuation between 70 and 90 is indeed a problem, and I'm not sure that it is, the problem is not likely caused by a bad thermostat because these thermostats normally fail closed.

If you don't have any other problems or trouble codes with the car, I would not bother replacing the thermostats.
We checked everything with a mechanic today and however the thermostat is good, and to my surprise the temperature has stabilized so I have to return the thermostats I ordered incorrectly. Thanks for the help ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quick question. Does anyone know what that gasket on the restrictor plate is called???

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quick question. Does anyone know what that gasket on the restrictor plate is called???
If you need the gasket and cannot find it, you will have to buy the secondary thermostat for the regular Caliber and use the gasket from that on your restrictor plate (they are the same size):

In addition to the restrictor plate gasket, you need these two seals:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts