Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have missed a post, I suck at searching forums, so sorry in advance.

But can someone tell me the exact locations of the thermostats on an 08 Caliber. I'm fairly certain it's the SE. It's got a 2.0? 2.1? One of those two anyway. I need to change them out and have no clue where they are. I can't afford to take it to a mechanic to do it and I can do it myself, just need to know where they are.

Thank you.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Follow the upper radiator hose to the engine block...it should lead directly to the thermostat housing. IIRC will be on the driver's side of the engine, removing the air cleaner box should give you plenty of room to work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like the guy above me said, follow the radiator hose. It goes to a plastic body part that is bolted on the driver side of the engine. Just unhook the hoses, un screw the 3 bolts. And two thermostats are there. Make ABSOLUTLY sure you pay attention to the direction they are aiming as you take them out. They will go in both ways. You dont want them backwards...

Good luck

Chuck

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
You need to take it to a mechanic. If you don't know what size engine you have and how to locate a thermostat, you don't need to be monkeying around with it. Not trying to be harsh, just realistic. You have a 50/50 chance of messing it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FlyingHigh- we all agree if you dont know what your doing then take it to a mechanic... but if he is here on the website asking for help, then we all need to be supportive in our answers. People arnt born knowledgable, we gain it from trial and error... changing the thermostat although much more a pain on my caliber then any other car was not hard, but it was difficult figuring out its location for me also a few years ago. He will do fine and learn.. your point was correct, but not the best answer for someone trying to learn to do it themselves...

I mean no disrespect to you..

Chuck

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
No offense taken, Chuck. My point was a little short-sighted on my part. I should have pointed out that the Calibers are a pain in the neck to locate the thermostats for a novice. A better way of stating things may have been to find a different type of car and trace the radiator hoses to the thermostat housing. That would have been easier. I realize that sometimes people are here to learn, but forget that some have never worked on a car. I'm not an instructor, just an old shade tree mechanic that had to learn everything by trial and error too. I wish joyseg86 all the luck in the world tackling this project.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awesome! ??

I'm doing research myself now to prepare to do a transaxle fluid change. I never use a shop, not willing to pay someone money to do something I can learn to do . There is so much mixed info on this site and others. I've verified ,if true ... using my oil dipstick with the engine running from cold for only about 1minute so to be apx ambient temperature that my fluid is a little bit low, the color is a light brown, not too bad. Engine has 180k, but runs great. Yesterday the first time my transmission overheat light came on, but the vehicle did not try to slow me down as I've read its suppose to do, but i did slow down to 55 for the last 10mins to get home, prior to that i had been driving for an hour at between 60~70mph. Figured I'd attempt a fluid change, filter (cant tell if it's one or two filters?, based on online info). I'm figuring best idea on amount going in, is to measure what comes out , then replace that amount, plus add a little more since it was showing a little low on my measurement using oil dipstick this morning.
But that's my plan, plus the airbag light came on, and read it's a break in the stearing column assembly, I'm not replacing it, gonna find the cable harness, tone it out and repair/replace the cable...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts