Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked on the forum, so forgive me if its been said already.

i am not sure if this is so much of a problem as it is a fluke/reset.

my digital thermometer on my car seems to reset every time i turn off my car. normally its around 85-92 degrees (F) here where i live. when i turn my car on, it shows anywhere between 66-70 deg F, but after 10 minutes the gauge starts slowly creeping up to the correct temp 1 degree at a time, normally 1 degree per 10 seconds.

anyone got an idea as to what would cause this, if its normal, or if there is anything i can do to fix this issue.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I have looked on the forum, so forgive me if its been said already.

i am not sure if this is so much of a problem as it is a fluke/reset.

my digital thermometer on my car seems to reset every time i turn off my car. normally its around 85-92 degrees (F) here where i live. when i turn my car on, it shows anywhere between 66-70 deg F, but after 10 minutes the gauge starts slowly creeping up to the correct temp 1 degree at a time, normally 1 degree per 10 seconds.

anyone got an idea as to what would cause this, if its normal, or if there is anything i can do to fix this issue.
It could be the sensor mounted in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Mine does that too. Doesn't really bother me.

Here's a thought for you tecchies out there (pure speculation), but...

This sensor, I believe is located a little forward of the radiator, so it is kind of in the engine compartment (after driving a while, the area around this sensor definitely feels a lot warmer that the air outside the car) I am going to guess there is a negative offset (reads lower than actual) programmend into the temperature display algorithm. This is done so that when the underhood temperature comes up to normal, the display reads normal. The very slow response, similar to what you have on a gas gauge, is needed to keep the temperatue dislplay from fluctuating. When the car is moving, outside air is flowing over the sensor, and you get a true reading. When the car is stopped, heat coming from the radiator, engine, etc. is probably sensed in addition to the outside air. If you take a long-term average of all of the readings and display it, the readout will remain steady and hopefully give an indication of the actual outside temperature - more or less.

A whole lot of words to say the condition may be normal :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts