Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm brand new to this forum and I do know other people have made posts about this issue but I wanted to make a new one because it seems the other ones I could find were a couple years old.

I have a used 2007 Caliber with CVT transmission that I've owned for 2 years. Last Friday while accelerating after a stop light it started to jerk/sputter/hesitate to accelerate. This happened when I got to about 22 MPH and happens if I try to go over 25 MPH. We pulled over into a parking lot and immediately started Googling it and found A TON of people with similar issues all saying they either needed to do an update because of a bulletin or needed to replace the TIPM entirely. We noticed people saying their car would stall and die on the freeway so we took side streets home, kept it about 25 MPH, parked it and have been walking to work/the store ever since. We have an appointment with the dealer in town to do the TSB update but I'm worried this will be a bigger issue and I dread the cost. On our way home from the parking lot, after first noticing the issue, we also had the car die twice while idling at a stop light. It started up again with no problems after that.

Backstory in the car: Since we've had the car it does the sputtering/hesitation thing after we completely fill up the gas tank, but it does it a couple of times and then everything is fine. We have also had an issue approximately ten times where when the car is turned on the stereo doesn't come on. We turn the car off, pop the fuse out (which isn't burned out or anything), pop the fuse back in, and the stereo comes back on when the car is started.

I don't know what is going on but I'm so worried about the potential cost of this that I can't sleep at night. Anyone have similar issues and what was the general cost? I need good news!!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Welcome to the ForumZ.

The problems your experiencing are not necessarily related to the TIPM
although it can relate to some electrical problems.
Have they disconnected the car battery for 10 - 15 minutes to reset the TIPM?
Your acceleration and stalling can be related to the intake manifold and/or the fuel
pump and they really have to read the stored codes to see what is acting up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We haven't tried disconnecting the battery - I didn't even know or think to do that. Just unhook it, wait 10-15, and rebook it up? That's it? I'll try that tonight when I get home!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yes that reboots the systems your radio will retain it's presets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts