Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im taking the cali in tomorrow for a few things..

1. At least ONE of my motor mounts are shot. I an rock the engine back and forth a good 2-3 inches by hand, and at idle the car shakes quite a bit. Also, shifting is a tad sloppy and jerky.

2. I possibly have an oil leak from the oil pan. Their going to check it out tomorrow and fix it if it is leaking.

My questions.. Do you think the dealer stocks motor mounts to change out, or am i going to have to wait for them to "special order" one/them

Also, if they have to drop my oil pan to change the gasket, do you think their going to try to hit me with a charge for an oil change, since they would have to drain the oil and drop the pan?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, ill be sure to post up when i find out what their going to do, etc etc..

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I don't see why they wouldn't have the motor mounts in stock. After all, they car has now been on the market for four years. As far as getting charged for an oil change, I'd have to say yes. Just make sure if they charge you, that they put a new filter on it too. If you're being charged for a job, they need to do it completely and not just put four and a half quarts of fresh oil in it with a dirty filter. You should mark your old one with a magic marker and make sure before you leave that a new one was installed.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see why they wouldn't have the motor mounts in stock. After all, they car has now been on the market for four years. As far as getting charged for an oil change, I'd have to say yes. Just make sure if they charge you, that they put a new filter on it too. If you're being charged for a job, they need to do it completely and not just put four and a half quarts of fresh oil in it with a dirty filter. You should mark your old one with a magic marker and make sure before you leave that a new one was installed.
well, i change my own oil, and i use mobil 1 and a mobil 1 filter, so if they dont change the filter, ill know lol.

I planned to change the oil before the winter anyway, but i still have 3k miles left before it needs to be changed, which bites a bit

I just hope that i dont have to wait 2-3 days or longer for my car to get fixed. Kinda need to get to and from work, etc etc etc :Racing:

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Are you sure the last time you changed the oil that you didn't lose the drain plug washer?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are you sure the last time you changed the oil that you didn't lose the drain plug washer?

Positive:

Im heading over to the dealer soon, and then they are giving me a ride to work, so when i get home this evening ill post back and let you guys know what they say

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Maybe you'll luck out and find out that you just had a couple of loose oil pan bolts. I check mine on all three of my vehicles ever time I change the oil. Call me paranoid, but when I had an old Toyota, I found a couple of loose ones and I've check them ever since then. That was over 20 years ago.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope that's the case, I really don't want to get hit with a charge for an oil change from the dealer

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Unless that area was wiped clean and then watched for a few days, I'd be inclined to say it was oil from when the filter was changed. By the way, did you know that Mobil 1 filters are made by Champion Labs? The Mobil 1 is made using an old less efficient design. STP, which bought Champion years ago, uses the newer more efficient design, but neither are as well constructed or as efficient as the Wix.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless that area was wiped clean and then watched for a few days, I'd be inclined to say it was oil from when the filter was changed. By the way, did you know that Mobil 1 filters are made by Champion Labs? The Mobil 1 is made using an old less efficient design. STP, which bought Champion years ago, uses the newer more efficient design, but neither are as well constructed or as efficient as the Wix.

Well, i changed the oil 3k miles ago, so i would doubt its from that, but i talked to the dealer today, and they said they didnt see an oil leak, so apparently its not leaking oil.

They also said my rear motor mount is broken, and they have to wait until tomorrow to get one in, but they said the car will be done by the time im off of work

So, hopefully will have it back tomorrow :smileup:

·
Registered
714 Posts
I am glad your dealer is actualy doing as they said they would i had to fight with mine until the job was done. Im sure you cant wait to get back on the road.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am glad your dealer is actualy doing as they said they would i had to fight with mine until the job was done. Im sure you cant wait to get back on the road.

Well, the guys at the dealer know/remember me.

Last year, i had a problem with my rear defroster, and the car was in and out of the dealer for about a month. I fought with chrysler corporate to get a rental car in the process of that(and i got one of course), and these guys remember me lol.

The dealer that i work at also gets some parts from there as well, so they see me every now and then too

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thats good i had to fight with mine over whether my car needed a new intake or not and guess what it did lol. What ever happend to "The customer is always right". lol

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats good i had to fight with mine over whether my car needed a new intake or not and guess what it did lol. What ever happend to "The customer is always right". lol

Wellll... ive been working at a dealer for about a year or so now.. And the customer isnt always right. It really depends on the person.

I work at a used Jeep dealer(all we do is sell jeep wranglers, and sometimes the odd cherokee here and there) and ive seen a lot or morons come and go lol

I think the best story i have that i can remember off the top of my head is this:

Guy buys a 97 4cyl wrangler with a 5-speed. After a few days, he comes back complaining that the clutch is going out(and it felt perfect when we had it on the lot and drove it, etc etc)

The owner of the dealer talked with him, asked him some questions, and went for a ride with the guy.

Well, the owner noticed that the guy didnt fully push the clutch in when he changes gears, and when confronted about it, plainly stated that "you dont need to push the clutch all the way in when you change gears"

Me and the other mechanic had to walk out of the office, out of the shop, and into the parking lot, where we proceeded to laugh our asses off.

So, to make the guy happy, we put a new clutch in, machined the flywheel, and replaced the throw out bearing.

After that, he comes back a week or so later, saying that the car looses power on the highway, that it surges and feels like it has a misfire.

So, i take the jeep out, and the other mechanic is riding shotgun with the obd2 scanner monitoring EVERYTHING. Intake temps, spark, timing, everything. The jeep drove PERFECT on the highway, no problems whatsoever. Well, to make the guy happy, we put in new plugs, new wires, and a new cap and rotor.

About a week later, i show up to work, and the jeep is sitting back on the lot. The guy bought it back again(not sure for what this time) and the owner got fed up, wrote him a check, and told him to take his business elsewhere.

A week later, the jeep sold to another customer, and the guy never came back for any problems :doh:

Now, like with my car, i went into the dealer, told them exactly what was wrong, and they fixed it. Ill snap a shot of the service order in a few, its funny lol

Oh, and yes i got the car back today, and it drives SO much better. No more bouncing around during shifts, and nowhere NEAR the vibrations at idle.

I also took the car in for an alignment right after i picked it up from the dealer, and i am amazed at how much it was off. I never had the chance to take it in to get it aligned after i lowered it because a few weeks after i put the springs on, the front struts went, so i replaced those and the front endlinks. Then a few weeks later, the rear endlinks started making noise, so i replaced those, and then i discovered my pass. side tie rod was bad, so i replaced that, and then i got an alignment

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, the reason why the front camber is "out of spec" is because i had them leave it at -1.4. With the car being lowered, and the rear camber being a bit negative, i want the fronts to be a bit out as well.

It was awesome, since the dealer i work at deals with just tires for all of our tire stuff, i get a discount on anything from just tires, and they treat me different than the average customer.

Once they had my car on the alignment rack, the tech working on it brought me in and showed me where the car was sitting, and asked me how i wanted it aligned.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Lol, I agree 08 but I printed the TSB out and I read it about 10 times just checking over everything and they wanted to argue it wasn’t the problem. They cleared the code twice and I told them that that was total BS the TSB clearly states my intake needs replaced since it fell in the time frame the TSB stated. They finally ordered my part and did the fix and guess what the MIL light doesn’t come on any more lol.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol, I agree 08 but I printed the TSB out and I read it about 10 times just checking over everything and they wanted to argue it wasn’t the problem. They cleared the code twice and I told them that that was total BS the TSB clearly states my intake needs replaced since it fell in the time frame the TSB stated. They finally ordered my part and did the fix and guess what the MIL light doesn’t come on any more lol.

oh i definitely agree with you, there are some circumstances where the customer is right, and then there are some times where you just got wtf?!? :doh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts