Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SE - 5 Speed Stick with no Tach. So I pickup a Mini Tachometer - Sunpro super tach II. The instructions are pretty basic. But because this car is a distributorless ignition system or DIS, I'm not sure were the green wire (tach signal) goes. I'm hoping someone has installed one and can help me out.

Thanks

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I have a SE - 5 Speed Stick with no Tach. So I pickup a Mini Tachometer - Sunpro super tach II. The instructions are pretty basic. But because this car is a distributorless ignition system or DIS, I'm not sure were the green wire (tach signal) goes. I'm hoping someone has installed one and can help me out.

Thanks
It can only be read from the OBDII CanBus signal. It doesn't sound like you have the correct tach for the Caliber.

·
Registered
577 Posts
i have a tach with shift light but i drive the diesel caliber, anyway i connected the green wire to the yellow wire from alot of wires. the only reason i new that is because a friend told me and he drives a jap car so it must be the yellow one in every car maybe:thk:

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
My suggestion - DO NOT HOOK ANY WIRE TO A YELLOW WIRE THAT COMES FROM A BUNCH OF WIRES! (This is a joke right?) Unless you know what to connect where, you can do a lot of serious damage. Besides, as mentioned above, the tach signal comes from one of the computer networks in the car. An old style tach that is intended for a point and coil ignition system will not work in this car, no matter what you do.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Ditto on what DKazoroski said. You may short out the TIPM and I doubt that you want to pay for a new one. I don't know how much they cost, but I'm betting several hundred bucks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't going to try to connect the green wire to a yellow wire in a bunch of wires. That is crazy!!

I found a 1-800 number on box. I will call it tomorrow, and let you know what they say.

Thanks

·
Registered
577 Posts
My suggestion - DO NOT HOOK ANY WIRE TO A YELLOW WIRE THAT COMES FROM A BUNCH OF WIRES! (This is a joke right?) Unless you know what to connect where, you can do a lot of serious damage. Besides, as mentioned above, the tach signal comes from one of the computer networks in the car. An old style tach that is intended for a point and coil ignition system will not work in this car, no matter what you do.
well it was easy because it was the only yellow wire in the bunch ha! + i did do alot of internet research before i did it and it paid off becaused it WORKED!!!!:loser1:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sunpro couldn't help me - they said they don't have a wire diagram for the Caliber. Probably because it won't work. I will shop around and see how much it will cost to have a tach installed for me.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Sunpro couldn't help me - they said they don't have a wire diagram for the Caliber. Probably because it won't work. I will shop around and see how much it will cost to have a tach installed for me.
As I stated before, you need to get one that connects into the OBDII CanBus on these cars.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hehe.. ya'll are a bunch of noobs :p

a OBDII/CAN-BUS tach would be an easier and less complicated install but you can hook a normal tachometer gauge up to the caliber, you will need a tach adapter (which conditions the ignition signal for use with a tach or a shiftlight), MSD Part #8913 is the one you need (its for distributor-less ignitions, as well as multiple coilpack setups)
Its about $80~ from summit -> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8913/

You will need the tach adapter and also access to the Factory Service manual for Caliber specific wiring diagrams in order to connect to the proper wire. But i'll help you out and give you the wire you need to tap into (per the MSD instructions below, this wire is the "COIL (+) 12VOLT" . The wire is BROWN w/ a GREY Tracer running to each of the coil packs (Ignition +) you only need to tap into one of the BROWN/GREY wires since they are all chained together, this wire is hot (+) from the Main Relay only when the key is in Run/Start.

Here are the easy to follow instructions for the MSD tach adapter 8913.
Figure 2 is the diagram you would follow on the caliber.
http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Accessories/8913_instructions.pdf

The neon was also distributor-less and a tach adapter (same one i mentioned above) was required on late 2000 to 2005 models in order to run an aftermarket tach.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Reps to you for that info, Dawm. I don't plan on doing it to Callie, but I'm sure it will help a lot of members from getting ripped off by the dealerships for an install.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Reps to you for that info, Dawm. I don't plan on doing it to Callie, but I'm sure it will help a lot of members from getting ripped off by the dealerships for an install.
hehe i dont post alot, but when i do i make it count :)

·
Registered
8,302 Posts

Thanks
Im sure that the pickup device described above will work, but...
Do you really want to tap into the electrical system, particularly the ignition system, on a 2009 car with a 3/36 bumper to bumper and "lifetime" powertrain warranty? Cutting into underhood wiring could get pretty hairy if a warranty issue were to come up. This is especially true in this case because the add-on part is not a Chrysler part, and it is in an important electrical circuit for the engine itself. Think and be careful.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
screw all this junk about looking for a wire color that no one knows is 100% i just went ahead and go the adapter..ugh..makes life easier lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hooking up a tachometer

I have an srt-4 2009, but i think it's the same for all dodge.

To hook a tach, it's soooooooo simple, but take 2 hours to complete.

First: you need an adaptor like the Autometer 9117

2: the wire that you need to hook your adaptor to, is underneeth the fuse box in the right side of the hood. Fuse # 23 , it's a light blue 15 amp.

3: Cut the wire in half ( it's a dark blue wire with a light blue stripe.)

4: Solder the red wire of the adaptor to the wire (that you just cut) that goes to the fuse box.

5: Solder the red wire with a green stripe from the adaptor to the wire (that you just cut) that goes to the engine.

6: ground the black wire to the battery

7: solder the grey wire from the adaptor to the green wire that comes from your tachometer. ( don't forget to set your tachometer to 4-6 or 8 cylinder )

that's it..

Pardon mi righting, caus i'm a french canadian dude.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have an srt-4 2009, but i think it's the same for all dodge.

To hook a tach, it's soooooooo simple, but take 2 hours to complete.

First: you need an adaptor like the Autometer 9117

2: the wire that you need to hook your adaptor to, is underneeth the fuse box in the right side of the hood. Fuse # 23 , it's a light blue 15 amp.

3: Cut the wire in half ( it's a dark blue wire with a light blue stripe.)

4: Solder the red wire of the adaptor to the wire (that you just cut) that goes to the fuse box.

5: Solder the red wire with a green stripe from the adaptor to the wire (that you just cut) that goes to the engine.

6: ground the black wire to the battery

7: solder the grey wire from the adaptor to the green wire that comes from your tachometer. ( don't forget to set your tachometer to 4-6 or 8 cylinder )

that's it..

Pardon mi righting, caus i'm a french canadian dude.
And posting on an almost 2 year old thread... Lol

·
Super Squirrel
818 Posts
I used the MSD tach driver

·
Registered
3 Posts
And posting on an almost 2 year old thread... Lol
I disagree about bringing up old threads being a bad thing. Rather I was searching google and it brought up this useful information years later in 2016 that is still relevant today.

It's odd that some people say to find a yellow wire, some say a blue wire at fusebox, others say a grey wire. How many possible wires are there to cut?

I was thinking about getting an SXT gauge cluster with tach on it and putting it in an SE, but the odometer likely needs to be reprogrammed which I don't know how to do - how much would a dealer charge to match the correct odo reading from the ECU or computer in the car? Or what tool to use to set the odometer to the correct kilometers/miles?

Sorry for bringing back to life a 105 year old thread, still relevant today

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since this is such an old thread you probably aren't here any more, but if you solder a wire under the hood, how do you get the wire into the car? Use a coat hanger and fish it through an existing wirign harness? drill hole in firewall to pass through? this all seems risky...and could lead to rust. How did you get your wire under the hood, into the interior of the car?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts