Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so today I saw a 2010 Caliber SXT on the road. Out of curiosity, I went to catch it, as it turns out, it was one of my friend's mom's new cali. We were just being stupid and went up to our school's campus, and had a little race. :p First one to hit 60 wins. (there's a huge stretch on it). It was agreed to put it in drive and just floor it. Turned out that the '10 models have SUPER sucky acceleration, or he was sandbagging badly.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would tell your friend not to be a jackass, and go buy his own car to ruin. If it is a 10 model, I can almost garentee that the engine has not been broken in properly.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
There's no break-in period on these engines.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There's no break-in period on these engines.

my owners manual says there is...

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine in
your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or

55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.
The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil
changes should be consistent with anticipated climate
conditions under which vehicle operations will occur.
The recommended viscosity and quality grades are
shown under “Engine Oil”, under “Maintenance Procedures”
in section 7 of this manual. NON-DETERGENT
OR STRAIGHT MINERAL OILS MUST NEVER BE
USED.
A new engine may consume some oil during its first few
thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be
considered as a normal part of the break-in and not

interpreted as an indication of difficulty.

I've made the key portions stand out for anyone who dosn't like to read.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
They "raced" up to 60mph. And this "break-in" is just for the 300 first miles (500km in french!) for the sole purpose of seating piston seals etc.

Well within reasonable.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I've driven mine like a bat out of hell since day one. That's what the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty is for. I really don't see how rings will seat in in 300 miles.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Okay, so today I saw a 2010 Caliber SXT on the road. Out of curiosity, I went to catch it, as it turns out, it was one of my friend's mom's new cali. We were just being stupid and went up to our school's campus, and had a little race. :p First one to hit 60 wins. (there's a huge stretch on it). It was agreed to put it in drive and just floor it. Turned out that the '10 models have SUPER sucky acceleration, or he was sandbagging badly.
In most areas "street racing" is illegal. The law comes down especially hard on young guys that do that around here. Best bet - don't do it

·
Registered
372 Posts
maybe I am on the old fashoned side of things, but if you borrow someone's car, you should not be racing. If you do, im my eyes, you are a jackass. If you want to race a car, buy something worthy of being built as a racecar, and go have at it.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Here in Philadelphia, two innocent people were killed when two street racers blew throuh a light - just some food for thought.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In most areas "street racing" is illegal. The law comes down especially hard on young guys that do that around here. Best bet - don't do it
:p I just wanted to see what it had it in it. We went to a spot where no one was. But the funny thing was, his mom had their garmin on in the center console. He got busted the next day for going around 100. He is grounded from driving for a reallllllyyyy long time. :D

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
:p I just wanted to see what it had it in it. We went to a spot where no one was. But the funny thing was, his mom had their garmin on in the center console. He got busted the next day for going around 100. He is grounded from driving for a reallllllyyyy long time. :D
That might be the safest thing to do.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, Have I done stupid crap like that? Yeah, I almost went 120. will I do that again. Hell no. I almost wrecked. But here in Southern Ohio, people race like crazy. No one knows about it though. One of my friends is in the "crew" and races cause there isn't a road course track in Southern Ohio. Idiot? Yes. But I really wish there could be a track.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Street racing is bad:smiledown:, spend the money and take it to a track. On another note I was told that the car learns your driving habits and adapts to it. Hece older cali has adjusted, new one still learning. Not sure if it was here or somewhere ealse that I heard that?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, all the new cars have computers in them that learn your driving style. But mine started running a LOT better once it got in the 70's for a few days.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Yeah, all the new cars have computers in them that learn your driving style. But mine started running a LOT better once it got in the 70's for a few days.
That's pretty common, the engine comes up to normal operating temperature quicker, the warmer air helps the fuel vaporize better, the oil flows easier, the car's running gear moves smoother - if only it could be spring all year round.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts