Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I am taking my 2007 in to the shop thursday for the routine changing of the alternator (the decoupler is broken).

The garage I am taking this to has worked on our family's cars for a long time and seems to be pretty honest.

I was having a chat with him about the car and he told me he successfully changed the setup to an alternator to one with a basic setup. I am assuming it was without the decoupler.

Now i remember on here i was reading that was not a good idea and i do not think i am going to sell out for the downgrade but i am kind of curious if this is possible? It sounded like he knows the car and successfully did this.

It will save me some money but not much to the fact I would not really consider this UNLESS someone on here would tell me it can be done safely.

of course my warranty is up so I have nothing to void really. Just thought if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Cheers!

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
He's a mechanic, the use of the decoupler pulley is dictated by engineers who have large amounts knowledge about drive systems. (personally, I'd trust an engineer over a mechanic any day - but that's just me)
The decoupler makes things easier on the entire belt system, particularly the spring tensioner.
Go to the Gates and Litens websites to see all about decoupler pulleys.
Then tell me which might be better. (with or without the decoupler pulley)

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
yeah exactly what I was thinking...im just curious as to why he told me this. very suspect lol.
Probably because he's old school.

In the old days, belt tension was set by a manually adjusted tensioning system. You needed to check and adjust belt tension every so often, Also "yesterday's" alternators were much smaller and had less rotating mass as compared to today's.

·
Registered
206 Posts
By your post I'm not sure which path you took but I'm guessing you had a factory style installed with the decoupler. I'd say that was your best choice. The decoupler imho is actually a very good idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts