Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ordered the sub frame off Amazon ? How is the quality? Have to replace mine mechanic wants to use/order a used one. What's the pros and cons of Amazon one?

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
You are looking at the front frame ?

I have been considering the rear set - when mine fails it will depend upon the condition of the rest. At the moment I would go for this:

Brit source

·
Registered
710 Posts
Your mechanic may not be familiar with Calibers/Patriots/Compasses and may not realize that subframe rot on these vehicles is a chronic problem and that a used subframe isn't a good idea. Just fill them in with the facts and tell them you want a new subframe.

Mopar subframes are still available...I'd go with that for quality of fitment (considering how many things bolt up to it this becomes an issue) and slather the hell out out of it with a rust inhibitor like Fluid Film every autumn. Should last as long as the rest of the car does.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your mechanic may not be familiar with Calibers/Patriots/Compasses and may not realize that subframe rot on these vehicles is a chronic problem and that a used subframe isn't a good idea. Just fill them in with the facts and tell them you want a new subframe.

Mopar subframes are still available...I'd go with that for quality of fitment (considering how many things bolt up to it this becomes an issue) and slather the hell out out of it with a rust inhibitor like Fluid Film every autumn. Should last as long as the rest of the car does.
Hmm, fitment is a good point... I'd be tempted to skip the Mopar one and hope a 3rd party one lasts longer. Just replaced my rear bumper reinforcement with a junkyard pull from a 2010 Compass North Ed. ... it was hard to find one that wasnt rotten for sure. Most were worse than mine, and I could put my hand through mine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Has anyone ordered the sub frame off Amazon ? How is the quality? Have to replace mine mechanic wants to use/order a used one. What's the pros and cons of Amazon one?
I order one off Amazon Amazon don't make the sub frame companies just sell it through Amazon.I f you are a good DIY person you can do it I never did a sub frame on any car until I had to do my own to save$$$$ these sub frames are easy to replace it just takes a little of your time and the right tools,One of my co-workers bought a nice Saturn SUV for $850 nice looking car all around but the sub frame crack an d on his car the shop show him where it has t o be cut and welded together the Calibers are easy to do I did my front and back a year apart from each other.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hmm, fitment is a good point... I'd be tempted to skip the Mopar one and hope a 3rd party one lasts longer.
I don't think the rust is indicative of poor part quality, its a poor design as water can pool on top. We are stuck with that regardless of the part brand.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think the rust is indicative of poor part quality, its a poor design as water can pool on top. We are stuck with that regardless of the part brand.
Most of these sub frames are made from the steel we get from China so don't get all caught up on name brand parts.One over look Issue on the the front sub frame of the Dodge Caliber is the condensation from the cooling mechanisms over time that can rust out the sub frame, what I did was apply a coating in that area to help it from rusting out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Most of these sub frames are made from the steel we get from China so don't get all caught up on name brand parts.One over look Issue on the the front sub frame of the Dodge Caliber is the condensation from the cooling mechanisms over time that can rust out the sub frame, what I did was apply a coating in that area to help it from rusting out.
I noticed that as well, i wonder if there is a way to redirect the ac condensate so its not dripping right on the sub frame..

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Some kind of WaxOyl treatment may help but if the frame lives another decade it will outlast the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts