Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to the caliberzforum and wasn't to sure where to post this. But I need HELP.

I have a 07 sxt dodge caliber and need to replace the struts. Where is the best place to get them and what brand is the best to get? I want them to last and not blow out as fast as the OEM brand did so I am not to postive about buying them from dealer.

Help please. Thank you

·
Registered
385 Posts
i got KYB for mine.i was planning on just buying whatever autozone had in stock, but they only had kyb and it was like 20 dollars more than the other brand. so check their first so you dont have to deal with shipping time. i really love them so far,

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
that is what I would do.. buy a good brand and take them to an honest mechanic for installation.. it should still be way cheaper than a dealer.. good honest mechanics are hard to find..but I live in a small town so they can't cheat anyone if they want to make money..

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I agree with Tex about the procedure and with tjohnson104 about the KYB's. They're very good struts.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
There are 3 different brands available:
KYB, Monroe, and whatever one Chrysler sells.

I used KYB on mine - they have a "stellar" reputation.
Some people like Monroe, others hate 'em.
The Chrysler ones are no-names units from whoever sells them to Chrysler the cheapest - steer clear!

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
An added note - most of the "store brand" units are rebranded Monroes.

·
Registered
385 Posts
yes i bought the kyb when i saw one wass broken when installing my lowering springs and the combo is soooo smooth and awsome! and actually the installation isnt to hard either for new struts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone. I am familiar with the KYB brand but I have heard there are different levels of struts like KYB G2(or something like that). Is that a good strut G2? and as long as it states it fits my veh model then I should be fine with it fitting correctly right?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
There are 3 different brands available:
KYB, Monroe, and whatever one Chrysler sells.

I used KYB on mine - they have a "stellar" reputation.
Some people like Monroe, others hate 'em.
The Chrysler ones are no-names units from whoever sells them to Chrysler the cheapest - steer clear!
x2

dunno how many front struts my dealer has put on my car any more lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another question. Im shopping online of course for the best deal on the struts. Should I ensure the parts of warranty? or just go with the best deal?

·
Super Moderator
12,141 Posts
I don't always go on price, close to the best deal but factor in service.
More on stock availability, reliable despatch. Some back up for sorting out immediate issues.
For name brand stuff I rely on manufacturer rep more than the online supplier warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello everyone! I am hoping some may still be discussing problems or solutions to struts. My "08 Caliber SXT 2.0 4L baby, after years of wear and tear, and after replacing the tie rods and spending on alignment afterwards, struts have decided to be the next project. After looking online and deciding whether to wait for them to ship or buy locally, finally did the latter. Spend almost $200 for the assembly kit which pretty much is, you take the old part out and replace with the new. Job will probably be about 1 hour labor fingers crossed and thank God hubby knows his way around working on cars. One thing we found out... I'll have to get an alignment work done... AGAIN! So lesson learned? Next time we replace tie rods & struts, do these together, then have an alignment done! :sneaky:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello everyone! I am hoping some may still be discussing problems or solutions to struts. My "08 Caliber SXT 2.0 4L baby, after years of wear and tear, and after replacing the tie rods and spending on alignment afterwards, struts have decided to be the next project. After looking online and deciding whether to wait for them to ship or buy locally, finally did the latter. Spend almost $200 for the assembly kit which pretty much is, you take the old part out and replace with the new. Job will probably be about 1 hour labor fingers crossed and thank God hubby knows his way around working on cars. One thing we found out... I'll have to get an alignment work done... AGAIN! So lesson learned? Next time we replace tie rods & struts, do these together, then have an alignment done! :sneaky:
Are you putting in the stock SXT struts or are you looking at putting in the Caliber SRT struts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just bought some for mine from ebay. The Detroit axle ones. I got there brakes and rotors as well put on and so far so good. I hope they are just as good. The warrantee is nice as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@John Galt we are installing new ones on a SXT!
@CaliburGuy2021 the first thing we asked was the warranty, which is lifetime... always a good thing! 👍
We shall see how the replacing goes this weekend... I hope! Have been riding my bike to work and that 6+ miles one way so... I want my car in working order before the rain and cold weather kicks in, LOL!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts