Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just had a 4 wheel alignment done and it still pulls to the right and after investigating a little it seems to only pull bad when in gear and driving if im coasting it seems to go straight what would cause this, it's had a pull to the right for a while now and thought the alignment would fix it.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Maybe you should take it back to the alignment place and ask them if they can adjust it.

A guy once told me that one wheel pulls more than the other when accelerating and thus causes the pull to the one side.

Hope you find a solution soon.

:D

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Torque steer is an issue with most four cylinder cars during acceleration. But it shouldn't be an issue while cruising. You have two other possibilities. A low tire on the right front, or the brake on the right front is dragging.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's going in tomorow i was a little chapped when i spent 114 $ and it still pulled the same

·
Registered
186 Posts
i had my alignment done, and i experience the same pulling to the right. not a lot but just slightly. the mechanic said i should install camber bolts to finely adjust the front end some more. the bolts were like 20 bucks, i just haven't installed them yet.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
it's going in tomorow i was a little chapped when i spent 114 $ and it still pulled the same
You don't have the year of your Caliber displayed, but maybe you have one of the Calibers that was installed with undersized crossmember bolts.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
mine does also steer to right, and to drive straight i have to steer a bit left...
but i get a alignment when i lower the car...
;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Just a side note, how are the steering linkages holding up? A loose tie rod or ball joint (worn) could cause the same thing - like I am experiencing right now so I thought I would mention it. My left side is worn (lower ball joint, drive axle and maybe the tie rod) and it's pulling to the right like crazy. The only explanation I could think of (I would have assumed the right side being worn would do this) but I guess the left side being loose won't pull as hard since there is more play. Add in the 2% typical cross fall on a highway and wheeeeeee! Hehe!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my alignment was done at the dealership so if anything was worn they would have fixed it and also i had recently had my front struts and swaybar links replaced and then the rear swaybar links just the other day, and it's a 2008. and i had a re-alignment done today and so far it goes straight but i have not drivin much today yet to test.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so after 4 months of having a car pull afterhaving paid the dealer to do a 4 wheel alignment i found i had to put a camber kit in also i took it to an alignment shop today to find out my lower left ball joint has 1" of play in it now how the f*** does the dealer miss that and they replaced the left side of my tie rod and still missed the ball joint thats bull so they are replacing the lower left ball joint and the control arm and are probably redoing a 4 wheel alignment at no cost i find out tomorow.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's all good now had my lower left ball joint replaced i still cant believe they missed that control arm didn't get replaced i think they just removed it to get to the ball joint and i had camber kits installed in front left and right and they redid my 4 wheel alignment, i was so mad they had 3 mechanics test drive my car to make sure it was the way i wanted it, it drives straighter now than when i first bought it lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Having same problem, but with a catch.

My 08 csrt-4 is pulling to the right. Took it by my bro who's an ASE certified mechanic. Saw that the outer right tie rod had play in it. Took it to the dealer since it's still under warranty. They replaced it, and then the service guy told me that I have a junkyard steering knuckle on the right side. I've never replaced the steering knuckle and the only place it's been worked on, besides my garage, is the dealer. I bought the car new. It had 244 miles on it when I bought it. Are they telling me that the junkyard knuckle was on the car when I bought it? It better not have. They replaced the tie rod, and SAID they set the tow, but it still pulls. I'm going back on Monday to bitch out the service manager. If that knuckle was on there when I bought the car, I'm suing them.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
244 miles is a lot for a "new" car. did the dealer explain why it had so many miles on it? (demo car, sales manager's car, driven from one dealer to another, ???)
Could have been in an accident or the like during those miles - hence the "junkyard" knuckle.

Not too easy to sue over this issue. You need to prove that the dealer knew of the "junkyard" knuckle.

Inability to align - bent frame/body?

·
Registered
29 Posts
No. I just assumed it had maybe been test driven a lot, or driven between dealers. That's what I first thought too. Maybe it had been in an accident during those 244 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also ran a CarFax on it, but it came up with no reported accidents. Idk if that totally rules one out though.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
For what it's worth (not much at all) you could try to get a carfax report on your VIN to see if any collision repairs were done to the car.
At least in PA - you cannot sell a colision damaged and repaired car as "new".

Beat me to it (post above mine)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't think it's legal in Illinois either. I don't see how it could be legal anywhere!

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Carfax reports are only as good as the info they receive. My daughter traded an '03 Lancer OZ-Rally into Carmax. It had been in 2 accidents and the wheel alignment could never be corrected because the frame could not be straightened properly. Carmax made the car a company car for 6 months, washed the title making it a dealer owned car and sent it to be auctioned in Canada. The car now resides in Vancouver BC. The Carfax doesn't show it ever having been in an accident or being in the hands of anybody but Carmax and the latest owner in Canada.

If your CSRT4 had 244 miles on it, it's very possible it was repo'd and wrecked before or during the act of repoing it.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
My 08 csrt-4 is pulling to the right. Took it by my bro who's an ASE certified mechanic. Saw that the outer right tie rod had play in it. Took it to the dealer since it's still under warranty. They replaced it, and then the service guy told me that I have a junkyard steering knuckle on the right side. I've never replaced the steering knuckle and the only place it's been worked on, besides my garage, is the dealer. I bought the car new. It had 244 miles on it when I bought it. Are they telling me that the junkyard knuckle was on the car when I bought it? It better not have. They replaced the tie rod, and SAID they set the tow, but it still pulls. I'm going back on Monday to bitch out the service manager. If that knuckle was on there when I bought the car, I'm suing them.
Semi thread hijack here but given you have an SRT4, are you sure you are not o ly experiencing torque steer?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts