Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 1.8l manual transmission lately it has started stalling on me and when I start it back up it starts and dies instantly. If I let it sit for about 10 minutes it fires up and drives without any issues. I had a code for replacing the gas cap come up and I replaced it and the code hasn't come back. I get no codes at all now and I keep my odb in the car and check everytime it happens and get no codes. The other day I was driving and for about 3 miles I was already at speed of 60mph and then lost power to the throttle and when pushing it would get like 2 seconds of power than lose it. The engine wasn't revving up it was just no power that happened for a few miles and then acted like nothing happened. I've recently had to replace the alternator and gas cap and thats it. I bought the vehicle about a month ago took it to dodge for an inspection and they said everything was good when I bought it. I don't know where to begin since its not throwing any codes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My first guess; bad throttle body. You can grab one from a junkyard to install and test.

Can you hook up a scanner to watch the gas pedal and throttle positions in real time?

Or remove the intake hose, and with the help of a friend, someone slowly press the gas pedal, while the other watch/feel the throttle’s butterfly open and close to get an idea if they’re in sync and smooth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can my odb scanner has a live feed however I don't know what any of it means or is supposed to be reading

·
Registered
670 Posts
You'd think that a failing throttle body would throw a code of some sort. First thing that came to my mind was a faulty/failing fuel pump

·
Registered
255 Posts
Except, the engine is still running, just no throttle response.

I think if it was a fuel pump (or its relay (do these cars have a relay controlling the pump?)) issue, the car would die, not just idle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does die. It dies more often than it loses power. I hooked my scanner up and called someone who knew what everything meant. And everything was reading properly while the car was running. I just poured a can of sea foam into the gas tank and am going to drive it to work. At work I'm going to clean and regrease all ground connections and see if that helps. Someone else said maybe a crank shift sensor? Or cam not sure but if it was a sensor wouldn't it throw a code? I appreciate the responses as I am mechanically inclined just not experienced in vehicles.
Except, the engine is still running, just no throttle response.

I think if it was a fuel pump (or its relay (do these cars have a relay controlling the pump?)) issue, the car would die, not just idle.

·
Registered
670 Posts
A crank or cam position sensor would more than likely throw a code, but an issue with the fuel system often will not.

It would not be the worst thing in the world to put a fuel pressure gauge on the system and see if you lose pressure when the car loses power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts