Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s taken me a year to find a GPS system a terrible man put under my dash when I wasn’t around. I have a 2007 R/T all manual and I want to disable or remove it for as little money as possible. It is just to the right (passenger side) of the middle of the dashboard, towards the front of the car. I can’t see it by looking upward under dash or through the air vents above the radio but after the car sits all night powered off this one area glows like the sun in a thermal viewer.

If I remove the dash will that area be obvious? I watched a YouTube about it but couldn’t see an open area there when the person pulled off the dash cover.

Basically I want to make it easily accessible so when I take it to an electrical person or mechanic I can spend their time solely on disabling or removing it. I definitely don’t want to mess up my sweet ride by attempting electrical fixes myself.

Please chime in with your ideas. Thx

·
Super Moderator
12,594 Posts
A tracker is a useful anti-theft device. Have you identified the unit? What you want is to swap the SIM for one you control so that only you know where your car is.
Taking off the centre console is relatively easy, don't worry about the time for someone working on it.
The YT vids are easy to follow if you want to have a look yourself. You'll probably be able to spot the SIM slot or power wire to disable it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A tracker is a useful anti-theft device. Have you identified the unit? What you want is to swap the SIM for one you control so that only you know where your car is.
Taking off the centre console is relatively easy, don't worry about the time for someone working on it.
The YT vids are easy to follow if you want to have a look yourself. You'll probably be able to spot the SIM slot or power wire to disable it.

Really great idea Aleks. Thank you. I’ll update this post meanwhile write in if any further ideas for me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Under center of dash, slightly towards the passenger side, is where Dodge puts the compass sensor for the EVIC.

Small enclosure, attached with (up to) two screws, three wire plug (hot, gnd, data), Dodge sticker with barcode.

Inside is one SMT circuit board, silicone sealed, no separate wires or jumpers other than the plug.

On the back of the circuit board are no components or jumpers, and is also silicone sealed.

I don't know what its heat-signature would look like, but I assume this has power to it all the time.

As someone somewhat familiar with trackers, this would be a huge pain in the arse to place one (it's not the most accessable area - there are a lot of things that need to be removed to get to this spot), but is a good area for a tracker/GPS/cell signal to get through.

Personally, I would suggest having someone check your cell phone(s) for tracking apps (maybe have your cell service provider wipe and reset the phone, or just get a new one with a different number), and visit a Dodge dealership (possibly in a different city) mechanic to do a complete inspection to look for anything that shouldn’t be attached to the vehicle. Let them know you think there may be a tracker on the car.

If you do find a tracker, don't let anyone touch it - contact law enforcement in hopes they can pull fingerprints off it.

·
Super Moderator
12,594 Posts
How do you know it is GPS? Is there an antenna. Most likely it would be cell tracking to 100ft or so.
Have you been tracked ? Some may only be activated by a Police theft report or such.
You may be assuming a lot, Post a pic so we can id what might be there.

Reactions: cassidee

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Under center of dash, slightly towards the passenger side, is where Dodge puts the compass sensor for the EVIC.

View attachment 17064

Small enclosure, attached with (up to) two screws, three wire plug (hot, gnd, data), Dodge sticker with barcode.

View attachment 17065

Inside is one SMT circuit board, silicone sealed, no separate wires or jumpers other than the plug.

View attachment 17066

On the back of the circuit board are no components or jumpers, and is also silicone sealed.

I don't know what its heat-signature would look like, but I assume this has power to it all the time.

As someone somewhat familiar with trackers, this would be a huge pain in the arse to place one (it's not the most accessable area - there are a lot of things that need to be removed to get to this spot), but is a good area for a tracker/GPS/cell signal to get through.

Personally, I would suggest having someone check your cell phone(s) for tracking apps (maybe have your cell service provider wipe and reset the phone, or just get a new one with a different number), and visit a Dodge dealership (possibly in a different city) mechanic to do a complete inspection to look for anything that shouldn’t be attached to the vehicle. Let them know you think there may be a tracker on the car.

If you do find a tracker, don't let anyone touch it - contact law enforcement in hopes they can pull fingerprints off it.
Wow that’s a lot of good information Thank You! And for the exact look of what should be there. That is so helpful.

That area is always warm in the thermal viewer and now I know why. I do not have a display or buttons on the steering wheel though. Is this in every 2007 regardless? I have the most basic model no electronic anything on dash except for LED odometer.

The super bright ‘sun’ glow was unusually hot recently and while I was being actively harassed. The car was cool from 8 hours parked.
Perhaps it uses that information for his GPS hack amusement.

My phones are compromised. This person is very persistent & has others who help him. He's not necessarily a garden variety stalker, but is absolutely a garden variety nobody.

I went to the dealer a long time ago, who said they scanned it and found nothing. I don’t think he did anything. Said he scanned it when the car was off, changed his mind said car was on yet the man still tracked me as usual.

More than a year ago my car was missing for a couple days and I imagine that’s when the work was done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you know it is GPS? Is there an antenna. Most likely it would be cell tracking to 100ft or so.
Have you been tracked ? Some may only be activated by a Police theft report or such.
You may be assuming a lot, Post a pic so we can id what might be there.
I don’t have pics of it yet. At least I don’t think so. I do have pics of some areas that I wasn’t able to find in the manual; I’ll search for them and post later.
Thanks you guys. It is nice to be able to take some action in my favor !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE ON THE GPS REMOVAL:
I finally found someone to do this job for me at home. The audio places wanted $1000 just to get to the area the GPS is supposed to be in. I got someone else, a friend of a friend who I have seen be very capable with cars and electric. I gave him service manual pages,, we watched YouTubes together -- which never really get to the compass sensor.
I spent a couple of hours with him that day and it seemed to be going along just fine. He dragged it out a couple days longer and when I next saw it was like this (see pic at end).

I tried my hardest not to show how alarmed I was and asked why he didn't stick to the manual. Said he needed tools to remove bolts on door to lift dash and at the end of the day he took off with the tool I bought..... and the car key. Left the car like this and haven't seen him since.
Where to go from here??
Someone suggested it might be a Lojack?

I've found the cheapest way to get new key set programmed to a different frequency. The battery has been off for more than a month.
All the parts are there in good order. No clips broken.
STILL haven't gotten to the GPS area. I'd need to turn car back on to check it out but he messed with the driver knee airbag?? And the passenger bag is held on by just one of the 3 really hard to get to bolts. Turning the battery on with the airbags in this state is hazardous.
What should I do ??
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
89 Posts
UPDATE ON THE GPS REMOVAL:
This is in response to the thread under my profile....
I finally found someone to do this job for me at home. The audio places wanted $1000 just to get to the area the GPS is supposed to be in. I got someone else, a friend of a friend who I have seen be very capable with cars and electric. I gave him service manual pages,, we watched YouTubes together -- which never really get to the compass sensor.
I spent a couple of hours with him that day and it seemed to be going along just fine. He dragged it out a couple days longer and when I next saw it was like this (see pic at end).

I tried my hardest not to show how alarmed I was and asked why he didn't stick to the manual. Said he needed tools to remove bolts on door to lift dash and at the end of the day he took off with the tool I bought..... and the car key. Left the car like this and haven't seen him since.
Where to go from here??
Someone suggested it might be a Lojack?

I've found the cheapest way to get new key set programmed to a different frequency. The battery has been off for more than a month.
All the parts are there in good order. No clips broken.
STILL haven't gotten to the GPS area. I'd need to turn car back on to check it out but he messed with the driver knee airbag?? And the passenger bag is held on by just one of the 3 really hard to get to bolts. Turning the battery on with the airbags in this state is hazardous.
What should I do ??

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Where is GPS? you can remove vent ander where windshield meets dash that covers VIN number by removing A pillars. Guessing it is right there as that is the least obstructed area for a GPS signal to beam to(I think?). Through windshield. I just removed this panel to get to where Boston Acoustic tweeters are on this car to install my own tweeters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you mean that specific spot? -- are those your tweeters ? That's rad .. you don't see in my pic because of the sunshade but the plastic on pillars is off and that top part of dash where it meets glass is off, too. There is nothing there... it would be under that black flat area, and haven't been able to lift that off (by myself, anyway).
Any more ideas? Thank you for your response it is totally applicable!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do you mean that specific spot? -- are those your tweeters ? That's rad .. you don't see in my pic because of the sunshade but the plastic on pillars is off and that top part of dash where it meets glass is off, too. There is nothing there... it would be under that black flat area, and haven't been able to lift that off (by myself, anyway).
Any more ideas? Thank you for your response it is totally applicable!!
I thought maybe the person could have used that hole, but I mounted my crossovers under there and it's pretty hard to get to. If you take out the cardboard blanks might be worth having a feel around in there. Yeah, the flat area doesn't seem like it comes off easily. They do make tracking device detectors. You could buy one and return it to amazon, but they don't get great reviews. Amazon returns are so easy its worth a shot, just make sure it says FREE RETURNS. https://www.amazon.com/Detector-Wir...RFH6R4F/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B07RFH6R4F&psc=1

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought maybe the person could have used that hole, but I mounted my crossovers under there and it's pretty hard to get to. If you take out the cardboard blanks might be worth having a feel around in there. Yeah, the flat area doesn't seem like it comes off easily. They do make tracking device detectors. You could buy one and return it to amazon, but they don't get great reviews. Amazon returns are so easy its worth a shot, just make sure it says FREE RETURNS. https://www.amazon.com/Detector-Wir...RFH6R4F/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B07RFH6R4F&psc=1
That is a serious scanner at Amazon!! Nice research.
I did get it scanned with a different type of scanner more like one you wave over the body. Like a metal detector over sand and this is how I know where the RF output is off the charts high.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts