Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems with finding and OEM SRT4 motor for a reasonable price. (My car jumped time) I have found a shop than can swap my car for $850 but I can't find an OEM motor for less than $3k but I can find RT motors for less than half the price. So can I replace my SRT4 motor with an RT motor instead since it's the same 2.4L without having any sort of bolting issues or mechanical issues?

·
Registered
205 Posts
You want to put an R/T motor in an SRT4? Go from a turbo motor to a 170hp non-turbo? That sounds like no fun.

The transmission will probably bolt up fine, but, you would need the R/T exhaust (at least cat forward) and exhaust manifold.

You would need the R/T ECU and have it programmed with the VIN of your car.

You can probably make it work, but there will be issues to deal with.

It will probably take less time and similar money to just go ahead and get the SRT4 engine.

What happened to your engine?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you interested in selling your current broken engine?
I'm not sure about selling just the engine in still owe another $4100 on the car from the dealer BUT I would be willing to sell the car as a whole for $2,700 that way I can play off the rest with the money i have left over and get another car but it doesn't start and will either need to be shipped or picked up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You should be able to make your full $4,100 by parting out the car. Check on Facebook for the Caliber SRT-4 groups, and also post in all the Caliber and Dodge forums that you parting out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
On the other hand, if your car jumped time AND the only damage is bent valve and damage to the head, then getting the head machined and rebuilt will not be so expensive. Even getting a brand new head would not be that much. A full new timing chain set is also not that much money.

Has your shop put a borescope down into the cylinders through the spark plug holes? If so, and the pistons are all ok, then I would seriously consider getting your head rebuilt or getting a new one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts