Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shifter knob's chrome cap has always been kinda loose. It had a vertical shift of about 1mm.

I had always shrugged it off as an assembly quirk or design flaw.

But this morning, the cap literally snapped off, with 3 of it's 4 lock tabs broken off and stuck in the shifter. Kinda disappointing.

Anyone else noticed loose knob cap?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
No sir, I am not sure my chrome cap is the same as yours.. mine is pretty much soild..But ..your problem sounds like it could turn into a new shifter knob mod... just a thought...

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I looked at various options available but haven't found anything decent looking to my taste.

Quite frankly I like my leather knob. The chrome cap has always kinda irked me because I hate chrome reflexions in my eyes but I don't recall ever seeing a standard shifter top replacement anywhere.

Billet Technologies (a forum supporter) only has full knob replacements and I dont really like them. If they made caps, then I'd consider it.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Mouser you do realize that the knob on the CSRT4 is
an integral part of the shifter and because of the reverse
lockout many have just epoxied it back on or had a leather
cover made for it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My shifter knob's chrome cap has always been kinda loose. It had a vertical shift of about 1mm.

I had always shrugged it off as an assembly quirk or design flaw.

But this morning, the cap literally snapped off, with 3 of it's 4 lock tabs broken off and stuck in the shifter. Kinda disappointing.

Anyone else noticed loose knob cap?

take it to your dealer, I've replaced 2 now under warrenty.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mouser you do realize that the knob on the CSRT4 is
an integral part of the shifter and because of the reverse
lockout many have just epoxied it back on or had a leather
cover made for it.
Apparently the cap can be ordered. I called up the dealer and they looked into it. ordered whatever's necessary and they'll call me when they have replacement parts.

It really looks just like a simple billet that dealers can snap on for the Getrag transmission knob. I dont think they'll replace it all.

Anyhow, we'll see when it arrives.

But, I've kinda grown into liking the smaller shift knob that the absence of the cap makes. I might actually top it off with leather and leave it at that. And i'd be rid of the chrome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate the shifter knob. My cap is broken too. It's giving me another reason to change it. Chrysler went cheap with the shifter knob:smiledown:. Instead to design a nice one, they just thought; 'we'll take the same one as the automatic tranny'. I'm very disappointed by this attitude.

But I like the idea to customize!:naughty:

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder who's responsible for this fiasco. Dodge or Getrag?

It's ridiculous how such a simple thing should break off often.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was wondering..............Couldnt we use the same shift knobs like on the mercedes. The newer ones have the same style reverse lockout on the shifter that we do at least it looks the same. That may open up some aftermarket knobs for us if they would work.

Heres the mercedes shifter. dunno if the patern is the same but looks close to ours.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There exist aftermarket shift knows but I have yet to see one that I like.

With my tip off, though, I like the shape of it. I want to leather finish it with the flat top. Had no chance for the fabrication but I might start looking at materials sunday night.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Id be kinda interested in one that is all leather.............I agree with the sun shinning in sometimes it hits that sweet spot and blinds you........

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do. Am juggling with a number of ideas and finishes.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI, finally got my chrome cap from the dealer. It's came with it's fitting: the ENTIRE shifter assembly. :rolleyes: I've been told I'd order a new one in 6 months...

And they wonder why they loose money.

According to my dealer, GetRag doesn't supply the shifter assembly. So the screwup is Mopar's.

Anyhow. I'll be looking at the leather finish instead. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started fabrication of this leather cap. Taking some pics as I proceed.

I have outsourced the last stage ... keeping you in suspense for the details ...

Photos and result as soon as I get it back.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I started fabrication of this leather cap. Taking some pics as I proceed.

I have outsourced the last stage ... keeping you in suspense for the details ...

Photos and result as soon as I get it back.
TEASE:tsr:..........................At least give us a clue

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had this same problem. I'm off to the dealership soon for a second shifter, as well as a new side skirt which they cracked when doing my last oil change. :doh:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts