Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can't believe there isn't a thread about this...i tried to search but no dice, i apologize if repost

ok so, when i brake its fine no noise or anything but when i release the pedal i get an annoying squeak. been doing it for prob 30K miles and its driving me crazy need help! i even heard another caliber squeak leaving the gas station yesterday so i know its not just mine

·
Super Moderator
12,405 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i clearly said i heard it...its a noise, not something you can see. oil doesn't make a sound either so take your snide comments elsewhere if you don't wanna help me out

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I assume you can hear it outside the car as well as inside.
The only moving parts are the brake pedal hinge assy and
the calipers if it's outside possibly the caliper guide pins are
haven't enough lubricant and are the source.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, you can clearly hear it outside & inside the car, I will check the caliper pins but if i had to pinpoint where it is coming from id put my money on the pedal assembly.

·
Super Moderator
12,405 Posts
Servicing your disc brakes

There are shims behind the pads that get missed on pad changes. Could also play a part.

None of which relates to a pedal so locating the sound is important.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I don't know if you can get to it or not, but you might try spraying some silicone lube on the brake pedal assembly under the dash. There should be a pivot point where a bolt goes through the assembly. I don't know if there's a bushing of some type in there or not. I'd try a shot of lube there and see what happens, though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
last night i replaced the front pads, lubed up the pins and everything real good...still squeak. i still can't figure out where the sound is coming from. its not coming from either caliper (or the wheel area in general), its not by the MC under the hood, its not under the dash by the pedal pivot either. it sounds like its coming from underneath the center of the car ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i can try to post a video of the sound perhaps
forgot to mention the sound happens all the time, whether the car is parked or driving. but you can only hear it squeak when you let go of the brake pedal

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine used to make that noise too, at least I think it doesn't do it anymore, maybe I'm just used to it? I'll have to listen for it tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Now I'm not quite sure what you're saying about where the noise is. You hear it both inside and outside the car, so that pretty much rules out a pedal assembly. Do you have drum brakes on the rear or disc? If it's drum, it's possible that the shoes are rubbing the backing plate. Try removing a drum and look for signs of rubbing, such as shiny spots on the backing plate. DO NOT have someone put their foot on the brake with the drum off. That'll blow out your wheel cylinder and then you'll have a mess to clean up. If you don't see any obvious shiny spots at first, just gently try to move the shoes from side to side and look closely with a bright light. If you don't find any signs of rubbing, then I'm out of ideas for the time being.

·
Super Moderator
12,405 Posts
Sounds like the brakes have been eliminated. You guys both have CVTs. We need to narrow down the component making the noise.

Is it the same with engine off / on ?
In Park, Neutral, Drive ?

"When you let go of the brake pedal " what about with the parking brake on to stop it rolling does it still squeak?
that might indicate the rear brake sticking if you have already cleared the front.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you figured out where it is coming from yet? My girlfriends car is now making the same noise and I tried lubing everything I could see but it still does it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts