Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed new 6x9's in the front door today and wanted to post my steps on the install. I know that other members have posted their installs, but I wanted to show how I did the wiring. I first did a search on the forums to find out which wires were negative, and which were positive in the factory harness.
Hertz DCX-690 3-way 6x9s.
So, here it is.

Clipped off the factory plug and installed bullet connectors-

My homemade pigtail assembly-

Pigtail assembly connected to the proper terminals on speaker-

speaker installed with factory hardware-

Speaker cover back in place-

Another view of cover where you cannot tell that the speakers are not original-

After I completed the install I put my Alan Parsons gold CD in the player and checked it out. The highs are amazing and the music is so much clearer and sharper than stock speakers.
The gold plated CD really showcases musical clarity and these speakers brought it out.
Now I need to do the back ones. I faded back and forth and the back factory speakers really do not do the singers voice justice.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Looks good, I'm thinking of replacing all 4 of my speakers soon. I tried to have them replaced under the extended warranty with the letter I got from Chrysler about the poor quality factory speakers they had installed but the local dealer said they where not at a level of distortion to fall under the replacement conditions. WTF?
Anywho it is most noteable when I use the iPod/iTunes feature on my iPhone so no big hurry. I don't plan on replacing the factory radio unit so I won't be putting in speakers with output much higher than the factory units.

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Nice write-up Mike! :smileup: Reps when I can.
What are your futur plans for other mods ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice job. The stocks sound pretty damn good, can't wait to hear what some quality speakers will sound like.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the factories sounded decent until I put in the Hertz 3-ways. The high efficiency rating of this particular model makes them ideal if you are still using the stock radio.
New speakers really bring out the highs and the singers voices sound more realistic. I had my treble turned all the way up with the factory speakers and had to turn them down to +2 on the replacements.
The back sepakers will be the next thing on the list, after I get my center armrest padded and skinned.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice job mate :smileup:

I have a question, which wire is negatove and which is positive? How did you find out?

And something else, when you will change the rear speakers, can you measure the depth of the speaker case in the door?
I want to know how much big must be the magnet, and the depth of the speaker.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice job mate :smileup:

I have a question, which wire is negatove and which is positive? How did you find out?

And something else, when you will change the rear speakers, can you measure the depth of the speaker case in the door?
I want to know how much big must be the magnet, and the depth of the speaker.

Thanks a lot.
Here is the wiring setup for the speaker system-

Radio 12v red/lt. blue
Radio Ground black/yellow
Radio Ignition (CAN data bus)
Radio Illumination N/A
Factory Amp Turn-on (CAN data bus)
Power Antenna gray/red
LF Speaker +/- gray/purple - gray/yellow
RF Speaker +/- dk. green/pur - dk. green/yel
LR Speaker +/- dk. grn/dk. blue - dk. grn/brn
RR Speaker +/- gray/dk. blue - gray/orange

It might be a while before I change the rears. when I do I will measure for you.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
While we're on the subject:

Does anyone know what the audio power output of the stock radios are?

What impedance speakers are acceptable to use (8 ohm, or can you go lower?)

What do people think a good 6 x 9 "drop-in upgrade speaker would be?

The stock speakers are OK, but there are certainly much better aftermarket ones out there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While we're on the subject:

Does anyone know what the audio power output of the stock radios are?

What impedance speakers are acceptable to use (8 ohm, or can you go lower?)

What do people think a good 6 x 9 "drop-in upgrade speaker would be?

The stock speakers are OK, but there are certainly much better aftermarket ones out there.
*66 watts of power at 3% total harmonic distortion--I am sure that is peak power 16.5 peak per channel , so probably about 3 to 6 rms per channel.

*The hertz I bought are 4 ohm, I would not go below 4 ohm.

*The Hertz speakers that I installed sound much better than the stock 6x9's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help which wire is positive?

I installed new 6x9's in the front door today and wanted to post my steps on the install. I know that other members have posted their installs, but I wanted to show how I did the wiring. I first did a search on the forums to find out which wires were negative, and which were positive in the factory harness.
Hertz DCX-690 3-way 6x9s.
So, here it is.

Clipped off the factory plug and installed bullet connectors-

My homemade pigtail assembly-

Pigtail assembly connected to the proper terminals on speaker-

speaker installed with factory hardware-

Speaker cover back in place-

Another view of cover where you cannot tell that the speakers are not original-

After I completed the install I put my Alan Parsons gold CD in the player and checked it out. The highs are amazing and the music is so much clearer and sharper than stock speakers.
The gold plated CD really showcases musical clarity and these speakers brought it out.
Now I need to do the back ones. I faded back and forth and the back factory speakers really do not do the singers voice justice.
Very useful post. Could you please tell me which of the speaker wires is positive and which is negative?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Base model radio:

Left front = Gray with Violet tracer = +
Right front = Dark Green with Violet tracer = +

P 8W-47-7 of the service manual

·
Registered
132 Posts
Base model radio:

Left front = Gray with Violet tracer = +
Right front = Dark Green with Violet tracer = +

P 8W-47-7 of the service manual
*66 watts of power at 3% total harmonic distortion--I am sure that is peak power 16.5 peak per channel , so probably about 3 to 6 rms per channel.

*The hertz I bought are 4 ohm, I would not go below 4 ohm.

*The Hertz speakers that I installed sound much better than the stock 6x9's.

Great job! Hope its not too late to ask a question on here.

I am looking to upgrade my door speakers as well. If I want to stick with my stock radio, would there be a true purpose to upgrading the speakers if the radio only sends a set standard of frequencies? Thanks!

·
Registered
654 Posts
The head unit sends the entire range of frequencies in human hearing range (20Hz-20KHz)...it's up to the speakers themselves to split up those frequencies and direct them to the correct driver (tweeter, mid, bass). Aftermarket replacement speakers have this capability built-in, but you want to make sure that those speakers cover as much of the human hearing range as possible, especially at the low end.

In general, stock speakers are made of inexpensive materials that don't provide particularly good sound clarity or the bass response people like. Aftermarket speakers are obviously better at this, hence their existence. Having said that, the stock speakers in the Caliber (at least mine anyway) are actually pretty good, and I have no reason to replace them.

There appears to be some confusion regarding "Hertz" and "Ohm". Hertz is a measure of sound frequency...20 Hz is the lowest pitched sound a human can hear, 20,000 Hz is the highest pitched sound a human can hear.

Ohm is a measure of electrical resistance. Speakers have some resistance to the flow of electricity. When the head unit sends out its signal, the speaker's resistance "absorbs" the signal (for lack of a better term), causing it to make sound. The higher the resistance, the more it'll absorb. However, the head unit is designed to expect a certain level of resistance from the speakers, so if you install aftermarket speakers, you want to make sure that their resistance rating is compatible with the head unit. 4 Ohms is a common rating and is usually safe to use with a regular install. If you're doing something really fancy with your sound system, that may not be the case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts