Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try the E3, iridium, or Bosch Platinum+4 plugs? Which is better if any?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
post a responce if you find out anything, or try one out. The E3 looks tempting. Most people say no difference, but common sence says there must be some benifit to having the fire actually take place where it nees to be, not on the side of the combustion chamber.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
I plan on using the Denso Iridium spark plugs in the future....I don't think you'll get many resposes to this question, my guess is that not too many people have changed their plugs yet.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
A lot of these fancy spark plugs will improve on a high performance engine's performance. But the average engine's improvements hardly warrant the expense.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of these fancy spark plugs will improve on a high performance engine's performance. But the average engine's improvements hardly warrant the expense.
Money aside which is better, Iroudium, or E3 (Sorry for the mis-spelling)

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
But these tests were done on a rotary motor......if i'm not mistaken, don't rotary motors run at higher RPM's, possibly giving these results no credit to what they would be in our calibers. Just a thought, but I do agree with you Prop1.......Idont think you feel much a difference in plugs unless the ones you chose made the car run like crap!.....which happened to me before with platinum plus 4's on my VW golf.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
But these tests were done on a rotary motor......if i'm not mistaken, don't rotary motors run at higher RPM's, possibly giving these results no credit to what they would be in our calibers. Just a thought, but I do agree with you Prop1.......Idont think you feel much a difference in plugs unless the ones you chose made the car run like crap!.....which happened to me before with platinum plus 4's on my VW golf.
It's good information from the stand point of what plugs are out there, what they look like, and how they compared to each other. I would also suspect that the rotary engine puts twice the abuse to the plugs. I'll still take a good set of Autolite Platinums over most anything out there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bosch Plat +4

I plan on using the Bosch Plat +4 in the future on my Cali. With only 2500 miles and one oil change under her belt it is too early, and -22 windchill outside right now doesn't help! I have the +4's in my 2001 Wrangler 4.0 liter with cat back and cai and they really helped gas mileage and acceleration, especially with 33" tires. I also put them in my 2004 Dodge Durango Hemi all stock, I was getting 19mpg according to the computer on the freeway and after installing the +4's it reads 22mpg. For a 5000 pound suv I'll take that mileage! I am no spark plug expert but I was told that the 4 prongs allow the spark to always jump to the closer prong to get the best spark every time? Anyway, my Wrangler has 146,000 trouble free miles, burns as clean as it was new and is still one fast Wrangler! I just hope I can get my Caliber R/T there one day, it is hard going from 4 banger to 8 banger and 6 banger!

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I am no spark plug expert but I was told that the 4 prongs allow the spark to always jump to the closer prong to get the best spark every time?
If they are all gapped the same distance from the center electrode (as they should be) then what sense does that make?:confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bosch +4's

I was told that the prongs burn away slowly from the electrode from sparking. Over time the gap changes, and it moves the next closest unburnt prong. This is one reason they make it to 100,000 miles, 25,000 miles per prong? Don't know if it is true but I like them.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I plan on using the Bosch Plat +4 in the future on my Cali. With only 2500 miles and one oil change under her belt it is too early, and -22 windchill outside right now doesn't help! I have the +4's in my 2001 Wrangler 4.0 liter with cat back and cai and they really helped gas mileage and acceleration, especially with 33" tires. I also put them in my 2004 Dodge Durango Hemi all stock, I was getting 19mpg according to the computer on the freeway and after installing the +4's it reads 22mpg. For a 5000 pound suv I'll take that mileage! I am no spark plug expert but I was told that the 4 prongs allow the spark to always jump to the closer prong to get the best spark every time? Anyway, my Wrangler has 146,000 trouble free miles, burns as clean as it was new and is still one fast Wrangler! I just hope I can get my Caliber R/T there one day, it is hard going from 4 banger to 8 banger and 6 banger!
When you noticed better milage 3 miles/galon better, was the only thing you changed on the car the plugs? Or did you make other changes to the car at the same time?

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I was told that the prongs burn away slowly from the electrode from sparking. Over time the gap changes, and it moves the next closest unburnt prong. This is one reason they make it to 100,000 miles, 25,000 miles per prong? Don't know if it is true but I like them.
The spark will jump to all equally. It's most likely the platinum that is extending the life. When you changed them, how many miles were on the old plugs? A true comparison would be new plugs to new plugs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It was at 30,000 miles, since day one the Hemi only gave me 19 mpg on the trip. When I switched them out my read out on a long trip at 75mph was 22 mpg. I did no other modifications other than the plugs. If you have one of these Durangos with the classic 'cab forward' design, it was next to impossible to get the back plugs in and out. I torqued all to spec except the back ones which I could not get the torque wrench to fit! The Durango has 41,000 miles and still sqeaks out 21-22 depending on the road at high mph. I have a lot of friends with the iridium plugs and they like them as well. I have a while, so I will wait to see what you guys say when you put them in.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
It was at 30,000 miles, since day one the Hemi only gave me 19 mpg on the trip. When I switched them out my read out on a long trip at 75mph was 22 mpg. I did no other modifications other than the plugs. If you have one of these Durangos with the classic 'cab forward' design, it was next to impossible to get the back plugs in and out. I torqued all to spec except the back ones which I could not get the torque wrench to fit! The Durango has 41,000 miles and still sqeaks out 21-22 depending on the road at high mph. I have a lot of friends with the iridium plugs and they like them as well. I have a while, so I will wait to see what you guys say when you put them in.
How many miles are now on the new plugs? I ask because the Hemi was in a break in period during the first part of that 30K as the plugs were getting worn out. If you have 20K on the new plugs and still getting 22 mpg, then the plugs are a worthy upgrade.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Changed at 30,000 now I have 41,000 miles same mpg 22. I also use synthetic oil with tough guard filter that i change every 5,000 miles. The hemi also requires 89 octane gas :eek: .

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Changed at 30,000 now I have 41,000 miles same mpg 22. I also use synthetic oil with tough guard filter that i change every 5,000 miles. The hemi also requires 89 octane gas :eek: .
I'd say you're getting a more efficient spark that's burning all the fuel. I may have to make the change.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
The spark will jump to all equally. It's most likely the platinum that is extending the life. When you changed them, how many miles were on the old plugs? A true comparison would be new plugs to new plugs.

The spark will find the shortest distance at all times( as does lightning )...........it is completely impossible to hit all four points at the same time. platinum, along with the four electrodes are the reason for longer life.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Explain "Like them as well" Do they get better milage as well?

1 - 20 of 275 Posts